Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple has shared its most recently filed Federal Employer Information Report EEO-1, providing a breakdown of the company's U.S. workforce as of August 2015. AppleInsider first spotted the document over the weekend.

The employment data reveals that Apple is slightly more diverse compared to its previous July 2014 report, hiring 1,475 African-American or Black employees, 1,633 Hispanics or Latinos and 1,662 Asians over a 13-month period.

Apple-diversity.jpg

The latest EEO-1 data contradicts Apple's public-facing diversity page, which said the company hired 2,200 Black employees, a 65% increase over the previous year, and 2,700 Hispanic employees, a 50% year-over-year increase, based on August 2015 data.

It is unclear what is causing the discrepancy between the data, but Apple claims its own diversity numbers are "far more accurate" than EEO-1 data.
We make the document publicly available, but it's not how we measure our progress. The EEO-1 has not kept pace with changes in industry or the American workforce over the past half century. We believe the information we report elsewhere on this site is a far more accurate reflection of our progress toward diversity.
Apple's U.S. workforce continues to be overwhelmingly white and male, especially at the executive and senior official level. EEO-1 data shows Apple had 31,135 white male employees as of August 2015, representing about 43% of its U.S. workforce.

At WWDC 2015, CEO Tim Cook said Apple is a "better company" by being more diverse.

Note: Due to the political nature of the discussion regarding this topic, the discussion thread is located in our Politics, Religion, Social Issues forum. All forum members and site visitors are welcome to read and follow the thread, but posting is limited to forum members with at least 100 posts.

Article Link: Apple's U.S. Workforce Continues to Diversify Per Latest Federal Data

lovewd

macrumors 6502
Aug 28, 2013
To be honest, I don't know why someones skin color/genetalia is such a large concern when it comes to employment. All that should matter is that you reach the necessary qualifications. If that means you end up with an all asian, or an all black, or an all white group of employees, so be it. As long as they are doing their work, that is what should matter

LIVEFRMNYC

macrumors G3
Oct 27, 2009
To be honest, I don't know why someones skin color/genetalia is such a large concern when it comes to employment. All that should matter is that you reach the necessary qualifications. If that means you end up with an all asian, or an all black, or an all white group of employees, so be it. As long as they are doing their work, that is what should matter

Unfortunately, history and present caused this.

DUCKofD3ATH

Suspended
Jun 6, 2005
Universe 0 Timeline

Apple has shared its most recently filed Federal Employer Information Report EEO-1, providing a breakdown of the company's U.S. workforce as of August 2015. AppleInsider first spotted the document over the weekend.

The employment data reveals that Apple is slightly more diverse compared to its previous July 2014 report, hiring 1,475 African-American or Black employees, 1,633 Hispanics or Latinos and 1,662 Asians over a 13-month period.

Apple-diversity.jpg

The latest EEO-1 data contradicts Apple's public-facing diversity page, which said the company hired 2,200 Black employees, a 65% increase over the previous year, and 2,700 Hispanic employees, a 50% year-over-year increase, based on August 2015 data.

It is unclear what is causing the discrepancy between the data, but Apple claims its own diversity numbers are "far more accurate" than EEO-1 data.Apple's U.S. workforce continues to be overwhelmingly white and male, especially at the executive and senior official level. EEO-1 data shows Apple had 31,135 white male employees as of August 2015, representing about 43% of its U.S. workforce.

At WWDC 2015, CEO Tim Cook said Apple is a "better company" by being more diverse.

Article Link: Apple's U.S. Workforce Continues to Diversify Per Latest Federal Data

Huh. So where is the:

Note: Due to the political nature of the discussion regarding this topic, the discussion thread is located in our Politics, Religion, Social Issues forum. All forum members and site visitors are welcome to read and follow the thread, but posting is limited to forum members with at least 100 posts.
Edit: Ah, so they've made the change.

Last edited:
Reactions: Thunderhawks

gimikinc

macrumors regular
Sep 28, 2008
Bay Area

Totally agree! I think for many the stats are nice to see, but are they hiring for a quota or to get the right person to do the job.

Popeye206

macrumors 68040
Sep 6, 2007
NE PA USA

Agreed. Seems the current day thinking by the media or special interest groups is that diversity should override qualifications.

joueboy

macrumors 68000
Jul 3, 2008
So it's very likely that I can get a job at Apple now because I'm not white. Yay for me!
[doublepost=1453210521][/doublepost]So it's very likely that I can get a job at Apple now because I'm not white. Yay for me!

Reactions: Huck

Muscle Master

macrumors 6502a
Oct 15, 2010
Philadelphia
Two potential employees.

One white one black

White one slightly more suited for the job
"Oh wait we need to be diverse, sorry white".

This is still racism. You're noticing someone's colour/race, when we are meant to ignore all that and take someone for who they are.

Umm... Not going into specifics, you know why affirmative action was put into effect... Blame white people

HMFIC03

macrumors 6502
Jan 19, 2011
Tokyo
Their overseas slave labor force isn't diverse enough. Fix the US corporate tax code that Apple and others evade and bring those jobs home before they are taken over by robots in the next decade.
[doublepost=1453211149][/doublepost]
Umm... Not going into specifics, you know why affirmative action was put into effect... Blame white people

Specifically white liberal guilt

Rogifan

macrumors Penryn
Nov 14, 2011
A day after we celebrated the man who told us to judge people based on the content of their character here we are, back to the mindset of judging Apple for hiring people based on the color of their skin so long as that color isn't white.
And why do people assume all white men or all white women think alike just because they have the same skin color or are the same gender?

TonyC28

macrumors 68030
Aug 15, 2009
USA
And why do people assume all white men or all white women think alike just because they have the same skin color or are the same gender?
I don't think I understand the question, but I haven't had my coffee yet...

Reactions: mixel

Kissaragi

macrumors 68020
Nov 16, 2006
I dont see how recording detailed race and sex statistics and publishing them in graphs to great delight can ever be considered right. We should be hiring people and not caring what colour their skin is or if their reproductive organs are on the outside or the inside.

I get what they are trying to do but this is the wrong way to go about it.

Muscle Master

macrumors 6502a
Oct 15, 2010
Philadelphia
How about the best person for the job? Based on skillset, character and work ethic.

To be frank... Because before affirmative action WHITE PEOPLE only looked at WHITE PEOPLE when it came to hiring

I could have been black as tar with multiple degrees from Harvard... Yet a white person with no education would have gotten the job because.. He was WHITE! Fact is fact!

The black guy probably would have been a educated janitor though lol

White powerful people had cultural and racial bias when it came to hiring a black man FOR DECADES, I have no sympathy for white who complains about Affirmative action

Suspended
Jan 18, 2005
How about the best person for the job? Based on skillset, character and work ethic.
I've always thought this had to happen because racism does exist and people are denied jobs because of their gender or background, and that some companies (like Apple) are trying to offer equally skilled people who would otherwise find it difficult to get employment a chance. But that's because I've seen similar things happen here.

I suppose it's like the difference between feminism and egalitarianism. One recognises that people have different backgrounds that might hinder them, the other disregards that and thinks everyone regardless should be treated the same.

Come to think of it I've done this too. I recently hired a writer from outside of my usual group and a different background because I wanted something more unique.

(I do wonder how many of the "skin colour shouldn't matter" folk are white or unaffected by racism)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.