Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

iOS-9-Siri-250x213.jpg
Apple's next-generation 4-inch iPhone is more likely to include variants of the A9 and M9 motion coprocessor chips, allowing for always-on Hey Siri, according to 9to5Mac.

The report claims the so-called "iPhone 5se" will likely replace the iPhone 6 and iPhone 6 Plus in Apple's fall 2016 smartphone lineup, while the iPhone 5s will then be discontinued.
Because the iPhone 7 will include a faster chip potentially known as the A10 processor, Apple likely does not want its new 4-inch iPhone to fall two processor generations behind in just six months.
9to5Mac and other sources originally expected the new 4-inch iPhone to have an A8 chip with M8 motion coprocessor, but Chinese website MyDrivers last week said the device will have an A9 chip instead. Apple has allegedly tested multiple prototypes with both A8 and A9 chipsets, likely fueling the conflicting reports.

Today's report also claims the new 4-inch iPhone will have 16GB and 64GB storage models available, which again corroborates Chinese website MyDrivers. Other possible specs reported elsewhere include a 1,624 mAh battery, 1GB of RAM, Bluetooth 4.2, Apple Pay, VoLTE and 802.11ac WiFi, but 3D Touch appears unlikely.

The next-generation 4-inch iPhone reportedly entered mass production last week, ahead of a rumored March event announcement, alongside the iPad Air 3 and Apple Watch updates including new bands and possibly other minor improvements. The smartphone is expected to ship in late March or early April.

Article Link: New A9-Based 4-Inch iPhone to Replace iPhone 5s, iPhone 6 and 6 Plus

mattopotamus

macrumors G5
Jun 12, 2012
My wallet is ready. Those specs are ok with me. I will say I did not realize how much I actually use 3D touch until I started using my ipad side by side with the 6s. I keep wanting to 3D touch to multitask and edit text!

Reactions: orbital~debris

vertsix

macrumors 68000
Aug 12, 2015
Texas
The iPhone 6 and 6 Plus were a pathetic upgrade from the iPhone 5s (basically same chip and camera with really minor improvements), so it makes total sense.

But there's absolutely no justification for Apple giving that phone 1GB RAM. That's just being blatantly greedy for what? 3 cent savings?

"Yeah, let's cripple the user experience because we save ourselves $0.03 in production. Margins, people! Margins!"

Deuce on the Clock

macrumors regular
Jan 9, 2016
My own universe
The iPhone 6 and 6 Plus were a pathetic upgrade from the iPhone 5s (basically same chip and camera with really minor improvements), so it makes total sense.

But there's absolutely no justification for Apple giving that phone 1GB RAM. That's just being blatantly greedy for what? 2 cent savings?

"Yeah, let's cripple the user experience because we save ourselves $0.03 in production. Margins, people! Margins!"
Its a greedy money making machine that the masses haven't figured out they don't care about the consumer. Hypocrites running the company now playing the masses for fools. Good for them for getting away with it for so long, but all bubbles burst when they get too high.

TC03

macrumors 65816
Aug 17, 2008
Mark Gurman's sources suck if they tell him a completely different story within one week.

Reactions: MrUNIMOG

Oblivious.Robot

macrumors 6502a
Sep 15, 2014
A9 processor makes it worthwhile for a 5S - 4" successor.

Also, I don't think people should complain on 1Gb ram, I mean that phone will literally be faster than my current 1Gb ram/A8 iPhone 6 now will it not?

Last edited:

DTphonehome

macrumors 68000
Apr 4, 2003
NYC
I went from a 5s to 6s and I'm not crazy about the bigger screen. A lot of times I find myself fumbling to reach a screen element with my thumb (yes, I know about Reachability). I use 3d touch intermittently, but not enough that I can't live without it. I would actually consider "downgrading" to this phone if the specs are decent.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.