Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

apple_tv_diagonal-250x244.jpg
Apple has added refurbished Apple TV 4 models to its online store for refurbished products, less than a week after refurbished 12-inch Retina MacBook models became available.

The base model with 32GB storage is available for $129, compared to its regular $149 price, while the 64GB model costs $169, down from $199. The total savings are between $20 and $30.

While these are Apple's best prices for the new Apple TV, RadioShack is currently selling brand new 32GB and 64GB models bundled with an HDMI cable online for only $119.98 and $169.98 respectively. There is a $5.95 shipping fee on all orders.

The fourth-generation Apple TV was released in October 2015, and features an App Store, Siri and tvOS software. Earlier today, Apple seeded the second beta of tvOS 9.2, which introduces support for Bluetooth keyboards, app folders, a new look for the App Switcher interface, MapKit, additional Siri languages and more.

(Thanks, Jeremy!)

Article Link: Refurbished Apple TV 4 Now Available on Apple Online Store

Last edited:
Reactions: Slix

Joe Rossignol

Senior Reporter
Staff member
May 12, 2012
Canada
Wow people broke their ATV 4s already? Or are these just repackaged returns from those upset it doesn't have 4K and Optical audio?

Probably an influx of returns from people who bought at the Apple Store on launch day (was a Friday) and later received their online order (the following Monday or Tuesday).

Last edited:

nicho

macrumors 601
Feb 15, 2008
Thanks, Jeremy! We appreciate the tip. I have added a quick shoutout to the article.

It is not an ad. RadioShack simply has a better deal that I think deserves to be mentioned for our readers.

Should probably look into @Jett0516 s tip then too? Or because it's bundled with a hdmi cable will Best Buy not price match exactly

JonneyGee

macrumors 6502
Jun 8, 2011
Nashville, TN
Probably an influx of returns from people who bought at the Apple Store on launch day (was a Friday) and later received their online order (the following Monday or Tuesday).
Can't they resell them as new if they're unopened? I would think refurb models would only be ones swapped out or returned after opening.

DempaX

macrumors regular
Jun 4, 2014
Sweden
Now I just want a refurb iPad Pro!

Try monitoring 3rd party sellers on Amazon with occasional deals significantly below retail. Last week "mobilepros1" sold the 32GB modell for $699.99 while ebay had additional 10% off code plus 4x ebay bucks deal going. (It made me pressing order but delivery is delayed due to weather on east coast)

AppleMark

macrumors 6502a
Jun 17, 2009
The CCTV Capital of the World
People probably want 4K, not fuzz 1080p. Apple tele is outdated tech.

I reluctantly have to agree. I bought one of these at Christmas and have since found it very disappointing on the whole. I am not crazy about having 4K 'now', however there is more 4K content becoming available with streaming services and as Apple are supporting UHD in their computer and phone line up's it is a hobbled device on those terms.

I have 'older' ATV's and the new one add's nothing really, other than App's which have become a passing fad in my my household.

I would return it myself, if I was in the return's period.

Last edited:

MH01

Suspended
Feb 11, 2008
For people who buy from Apple direct, good option for a bit of a discount .

For me it's a great bit of kit once i got infuse to replace plex. Plex has a great opportunity here, but the player is awful with full BR rips

emulator

macrumors 6502a
Try monitoring 3rd party sellers on Amazon with occasional deals significantly below retail. Last week "mobilepros1" sold the 32GB modell for $699.99 while ebay had additional 10% off code plus 4x ebay bucks deal going. (It made me pressing order but delivery is delayed due to weather on east coast)
Those are simply USED items no matter how hard they try to convince you otherwise.
I would return it myself, if I was in the return's period.
Buy with the right cc and your return period extends.

MH01

Suspended
Feb 11, 2008
People probably want 4K, not fuzz 1080p. Apple tele is outdated tech.

Except for the fact that outdated plasma 1080p still tend to have superior picture quality . When 4K OLED drop in price you will have a superior product .

Picture quality over resolution any day.

Basically Apple needs a buzz feature to update in the next Apple TV, though for most going to 4K if under 55" makes no difference unless you plan to use your TV as a monitor and sit very close.

Last edited:
Reactions: pjarvi

MH01

Suspended
Feb 11, 2008
Mate, sure 4K is much better, but "fuzz"? The 90's must have been very hard for you.

Unless you plan to sit very close to you TV, it's not even much better. The tech is great, the problem is the human eye.

For someone with 20/20 vision, here is the chart for viewing distances .

You need a very big 4K tv to start noticing the difference. Getting a smaller 4K tv makes little sense .

My 65" 1080p is 3m from the couch. Even if I had perfect vision, makes no difference.

resolution-4k-ultra-hd-chart.png

(Just took your post as it was the last to make the point, not directed at you)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.