Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

ipadair2-250x196.jpg
Taiwanese touch panel makers General Interface Solution and TPK will share production of a third-generation "4K" iPad Air set to debut in March, according to sources out of the China supply chain (via DigiTimes).

The same sources claim that in addition to a 4K resolution touch panel, Apple's new 9.7-inch tablet will feature up to 4GB RAM and improved battery life, and is scheduled to enter mass production in the second quarter of 2016.

The report goes on to state that both display makers expect a slight on-year increase in demand for touch panel products from Apple in the first half of 2016 due to orders of products equipped with 3D Touch. This comes despite previous rumors suggesting the iPad Air 3 will not adopt the pressure-sensitive display technology due to the production difficulties involved with scaling it up for a larger display.

Taiwan-based website DigiTimes has a mixed track record at reporting on Apple's upcoming product plans, but its sources within the upstream supply chain have proven reliable in the past. However, the term "4K" may simply refer to the new iPad Air adopting features included in the iPad Pro, which inherited the oxide thin film transistor from the 5K Retina iMac, along with a UV-based photo alignment technique that ensures uniform color and brightness in the display. It also included a variable refresh rate that preserves battery life by cutting the refresh rate in half whenever there's static content on the screen.

Based on details from leaked design drawings, the next-generation iPad Air may be set to adopt the iPad Pro's four-speaker design and gain an LED flash next to the rear-facing camera. Other updates that would make sense include a faster A9 or A9X processor, Smart Connector, and improved cameras.

According to KGI Securities analyst Ming-Chi Kuo, who often accurately predicts Apple's plans, the iPad Air 3 will launch in the first half of 2016. Apple is rumored to be planning a media event for March of 2016, which is said to be the event where the iPad Air 3 will launch alongside a new 4-inch iPhone and Apple Watch updates.

Article Link: DigiTimes Says iPad Air 3 Will Have 4K Display and Up to 4GB RAM

benedictm

macrumors newbie
Jul 27, 2011
London, uk
No to the 4k screen. it's an iPad Air with iPad pro features. To be expected. I'm sure both this and next iPhone will support Apple pencil because they want to sell more of them.

So the iPad border of play now is:

iPad Pro - first with new features
iPad Air - gets iPad Pro's features a year later
iPad Mini - gets iPad Pro's features 2 years later.

Tech198

Cancelled
Mar 21, 2011
maybe Apple can't do 4K on where it would have mattered on the larger iPad Pro ? Or perhaps Apple will do it to the Air first, then to the iPad Pro...later on

although 4K would look better on larger displays, I can't see how good it will look on an smaller size Air.

I would imagine it would be similar to viewing 4K on a 22' TV set. And i doubt 3D touch will be... Either one or the other to compensate to cost.....

Blujelly

macrumors 65816
Sep 2, 2012
South East England
If I owned a IPP and the new iPad Air 3 did actually come with a 4K I'd be extremely annoyed, the IPP should effectively take course of new updates and the rest of the iPad's then follows suit.

Rogifan

macrumors Penryn
Nov 14, 2011
No to the 4k screen. it's an iPad Air with iPad pro features. To be expected. I'm sure both this and next iPhone will support Apple pencil because they want to sell more of them.

So the iPad border of play now is:

iPad Pro - first with new features
iPad Air - gets iPad Pro's features a year later
iPad Mini - gets iPad Pro's features 2 years later.
Yes this makes sense. For me the question mark is if Apple is able to bring 3D Touch to larger screens. I believe there was a rumor they were having engineering challenges getting it to work on iPad displays.

magicschoolbus

macrumors 68020
May 27, 2014
i actually believe this to be true. Apple is very conservative on new models (iPad pro), the iPad is an established product on the market and apple knows they have to spice it up to get people interested again.

BvizioN

macrumors 603
Mar 16, 2012
Manchester, UK

Out of curiosity, why would someone want a pencil on the iPhone? I do understand that pencil is useful for certain things like drawing but how many people who buy iPhone's are artists or graphic designers? These who are, more then likely would settle for the iPad pro or some other tablets with pencil.

I still have not come across any thing I can not do using just the finger on the touchscreen! I wouldn't pay even a fiver for the Apple pencil if I have no use for it.

Tech198

Cancelled
Mar 21, 2011
let the truth be told, Apple always annoys users...

Notice the iPad pro had the 4 speakers and now its coming to the small ipad's... Probably not a blow-away feature, but if Apple can do that to speakers, then move then onto others, why can't they do the same with displays ?

I mean the 13' Mac has Retina display, once never thought possible. Who would want Reina on a *smaller* display,, A 15' makes more sense... But we got it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.