Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple yesterday relaunched its "Shot on iPhone" advertising campaign, showcasing a selection of impressive still photos taken using its iPhone 6s and iPhone 6s Plus handsets.

According to TIME, the new ad campaign comprises 53 images from 41 amateur and professional photographers from around the world. Each photo shot on Apple's flagship phones is set to appear on billboards across 85 cities in 26 countries.

iPhone-6s-Erin-Brooks.jpg
Shot on the iPhone 6s Plus and processed with VSCOcam (Photo: Erin Brooks)

The move follows last year's "Shot on iPhone 6" photography campaign, which featured a selection of filtered and unfiltered still images sourced from social media feeds. That campaign began with a gallery of photos on Apple's homepage, before rolling out across print media, transit station posters and billboards worldwide.

While the 2015 ads featured a range of photographic subjects from landscapes to extreme close-ups, this year Apple has chosen to focus on portraits.

One of the photographers featured in the latest campaign is Erin Brooks, whose portrait of her three-year-old daughter (above) shot on an iPhone 6s Plus was posted on Instagram and picked by Apple. Brooks told TIME:
I honestly couldn't believe that they contacted me. Photography for me, has been a huge creative outlet. It has taught me so many things about telling a story with an image, capturing someone's personality, and it helped me move out of my postpartum depression... Taking photos of my daughters, and their blossoming connection of sisterhood, helped me get well. I started to notice the pure beauty of my life, and connect with it, and with them, on an even deeper level.
The iPhone marketing push comes just weeks after Apple reintroduced its global "Start Something New" campaign, which features an online gallery of creative work made by artists using Apple products and apps.

Article Link: Apple Relaunches 'Shot on iPhone' Marketing Campaign for iPhone 6s

Reactions: themick4u

jamezr

macrumors P6
Aug 7, 2011
US
I must have missed the part in the commercials where they claim that those pics can only be taken on the iPhone. :rolleyes:
i know but they insinuate it...hence the shot on an iphone. What makes it different? I mean I take my 6s+ everywhere and use it to take shots. But what makes it different? The commercial make no mention of anything that makes the shots different. No specific features that could only be done while using an iphone.

Reactions: MacGurl111

Rogifan

macrumors Penryn
Nov 14, 2011
Yeah because the shots in the commercials couldn't be shot on any other phone?
So no smartphone maker should advertise their camera because all smartphones have decent cameras?

i know but they insinuate it...hence the shot on an iphone. What makes it different? I mean I take my 6s+ everywhere and use it to take shots. But what makes it different? The commercial make no mention of anything that makes the shots different. No specific features that could only be done while using an iphone.

The point is they were taken with an iPhone, not something else. These weren't special photographs Apple commissioned, they're curated from social media. All Apple's campaign is saying is look at the amazing photos people have taken with their iPhone.

jamezr

macrumors P6
Aug 7, 2011
US
So no smartphone maker should advertise their camera because all smartphones have decent cameras?
Who said that? I sure didn't. I would rather them focus on the features that make using an iphone different.

Rogifan

macrumors Penryn
Nov 14, 2011
Who said that? I sure didn't. I would rather them focus on the features that make using an iphone different.
I think the campaign is quite simple. Lots of people take photographs with their smartphones and lots of people own iPhones...so show off some of these photos. Phil Schiller obviously believes iPhone camera is the best so in his mind that would be a difference.

Reactions: thasan

Chupa Chupa

macrumors G5
Jul 16, 2002
So the "s" is 6s now means "so our ad creativity is sapped so lets just rehash a photography campaign from a year ago"?

Reactions: AleXXXa

Suspended
Dec 6, 2012

The point is they were taken with an iPhone, not something else. These weren't special photographs Apple commissioned, they're curated from social media. All Apple's campaign is saying is look at the amazing photos people have taken with their iPhone.

I thought the ad was basically saying - hey, you don't need a seperate point and shoot or an SLR to take great pics. The camera you already have in your pocket is great.

Onther message I think it sends is - hey, instead of spending money on a camera, spend money on an iPhone and you get a great camera as a bonus.

Rogifan

macrumors Penryn
Nov 14, 2011
So the "s" is 6s now means "so our ad creativity is sapped so lets just rehash a photography campaign from a year ago"?
Why not if it was successful? That Mac vs PC ad campaign ran for more than one year.

I thought the ad was basically saying - hey, you don't need a seperate point and shoot or an SLR to take great pics. The camera you already have in your pocket is great.

On ther message I think it sends is - hey, instead of spending money on a camera, spend money on an iPhone and you get a great camera as a bonus.

This too. Campaign seems pretty straight forward to me and if it was successful last year I'm not surprised Apple is bringing it back. Maybe it will be a staple of iPhone campaigns from now on.

centauratlas

macrumors 68000
Jan 29, 2003
Florida
"using its iPhone 6s and iPhone 6s handsets"

Wow, so they used BOTH the "iPhone 6s and iPhone 6s handsets".

Sounds like it came from the Department of Redundancy Department.

:)

Last edited:
Reactions: AleXXXa

thermodynamic

Suspended
May 3, 2009
USA
You can tell they're shot on a 6s from that ridiculous noise reduction. *roll eyes*

And a little too much unsharp masking (USM) and/or image resizing where noise is also going to be thrown out by default, they really should leaf the image alone (*snarf*) instead of misadvertising, or at least admit it's been enhanced...
[doublepost=1454335657][/doublepost]

Why not if it was successful? That Mac vs PC ad campaign ran for more than one year.

Well, it took them 4 or 5 tries to get the same repackaged product (iTools, .Mac, MobileMe, and iCloud) to take off - assuming it has by now, and by choice instead of forcing the issue down peoples' throats (with shrouding other save options or only allowing the one "choice")

So repackaging the same vanity, egoist mugshot promotional will eventually take off too.

Zirel

Suspended
Jul 24, 2015
I love the campaign, I think the message is very simple: "we did our job, if your photos don't look like these, don't blame the camera, you suck and your life is boring".

vooke

macrumors 6502
Jul 14, 2014
No phone manufacturer is going to tell you that their device or any of its features is not the 'best'. Isn't that commonsensical? 99% of a product hype is generated by the manufacturer, and the rest by deluded fanboys so please let Apple be!

Chupa Chupa

macrumors G5
Jul 16, 2002

Because for a company that is, and is viewed, as presenting the most brilliant marketing and advertising campaigns ever it looks lazy. Take Coke, another advertising and marketing standout. Do you see them regurgitating iconic marketing phrases such as "Coke is it," or "Have a Coke and a Smile," etc. No, they are constantly refreshing their ads and campaigns.

It's not the length of the campaign, it's the regurgitating it once its been retired. That is what gives the impressing they are 6s-tuck on finding new angles to sell the model.

Reactions: sofila and MacsRgr8

Suspended
Mar 18, 2006
I too think this campaign is brilliand and like it, it has more to do with art than specs.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.