Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

SwiftKey, the company behind the popular third-party SwiftKey Keyboard for iOS and Android devices, is being acquired by Microsoft, reports Financial Times. Microsoft is said to be purchasing SwiftKey for $250 million in a deal that will be announced imminently.

The SwiftKey keyboard has been available on Android devices since 2010, expanding to iOS in January of 2014 through the SwiftKey notes app. When Apple included support for third-party keyboards in iOS 8, SwiftKey was one of the first companies to produce a keyboard replacement app.

swiftkey_hero.jpg

SwiftKey's keyboard is notable for its word prediction tools, incorporating artificial intelligence and machine learning to make custom word predictions based on what a user has previously written. Microsoft will likely use SwiftKey's technology to bolster its own AI-based products, including its Word Flow keyboard and virtual assistant Cortana.

Article Link: iOS Keyboard Maker SwiftKey Acquired by Microsoft for $250M

Reactions: Vanilla35

ikir

macrumors 68020
Sep 26, 2007

SwiftKey, the company behind the popular third-party SwiftKey Keyboard for iOS and Android devices, is being acquired by Microsoft, reports Financial Times. Microsoft is said to be purchasing SwiftKey for $250 million in a deal that will be announced imminently.

The SwiftKey keyboard has been available on Android devices since 2010, expanding to iOS in January of 2014 through the SwiftKey notes app. When Apple included support for third-party keyboards in iOS 8, SwiftKey was one of the first companies to produce a keyboard replacement app.

swiftkey_hero.jpg

SwiftKey's keyboard is notable for its word prediction tools, incorporating artificial intelligence and machine learning to make custom word predictions based on what a user has previously written. Microsoft will likely use SwiftKey's technology to bolster its own AI-based products, including its Word Flow keyboard and virtual assistant Cortana.

Article Link: iOS Keyboard Maker SwiftKey Acquired by Microsoft for $250M
:(

Reactions: Avieshek

jayducharme

macrumors 601
Jun 22, 2006
The thick of it
It seems like a curious acquisition for MS, since they seem to be getting out of the phone business. I assume they'd want it for their Surface tablets.

Big day for "small" acquisitions: I also had just read that Zagg bought Mophie.

cariacou

macrumors 6502a
Jul 21, 2010
Smart move!
I really like what Microsoft is doing recently. (In "doing" I count acquisitions too).

Apple's acquisitions on the other hand...
If it wasn't for beats you'd think they are broke

Vanilla35

macrumors 68040
Apr 11, 2013
Washington D.C.
Microsoft. Interesting.

I think Microsoft has been making stellar moves since Nadella has taken authority. Windows 10 is looking great, while Windows phone was never a breakthrough by any means, it is what it is; and one drive is great. I think he is taking Microsoft down the road they need to go down in order to succeed at what they're good at.

Last edited:

OldSchoolMacGuy

Suspended
Jul 10, 2008
So they can put it into a phone that no one uses.

Though the data is valuable. The user agreement allows them to view everything you type and record it. That means they know exactly what you write about and what you search for. That'd be great information for a search engine or a advertiser (both of which MS has) to have access to.

Surprised Google didn't go for them first based on that wealth of information.

anshuvorty

macrumors 68040
Sep 1, 2010
California, USA
And now Swiftkey will go downhill. Time to move to Swype.

Great statement. Made me want to check out Swype after using it a brief period when 3rd party keyboards was 1st announced for iOS. I am impressed with the updates that Swype made to the app since then! Looks like I have found a new favorite 3rd party keyboard. Thanks!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.