Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

A new report from French newspaper Les Echos (via iPhon.fr) [Google Translate] states that Apple Pay will be making its way to France by the end of the year. The introduction of Apple's mobile payment solution will be a gradual rollout, with "a small handful of major French banks" supporting the service in a pilot program period of three to five months.

apple-pay-twitter-800x372.jpg

No specific date was given for the start of the rollout, but the pilot program is rumored to launch by September. The current state of negotiations between Apple and French banks is said to be paused at the issue of the transaction amount for each time a user pays with Apple Pay. A traditional payment with a debit card generates 9 cents for the partnering financial institution, with Apple's current deal taking 5 cents per transaction, "more than half of the average income." Some of the French banks see hope for an agreement to be reached by pointing to Apple's agreement with banks in China.
But " the agreement that the Chinese domestic network Union Pay happened is auspicious because it shows that Apple may make concessions ," said one informed observer. According to the Chinese press, the group based in Cupertino would touch nothing for two years and he then held 0.07% of the transaction amount, which represents about a third of the current Banking Commission.
Last week rumors about Apple Pay's expansion to France began with reports pointing to an official announcement by the company in the first half of 2016. Shortly thereafter, the service launched in China through a partnership with Union Pay. Including China, Apple Pay is currently available in the United States, United Kingdom, Canada, and Australia, with Hong Kong, Singapore, and Spain expected to launch by the end of 2016.

Article Link: Apple Pay Could See Slow Rollout in France Later This Year

ghost187

macrumors 6502a
Mar 18, 2010
Apple should have bought loop pay before Samsung. You either leave your credit card at home or you don't. Until that happens, it's a cool proof of concept that admittedly works more efficiently once in a perfect world scenario.

kdarling

macrumors P6
No specific date was given for the start of the rollout, but the pilot program is rumored to launch by September. The current state of negotiations between Apple and French banks is said to be paused at the issue of the transaction amount for each time a user pays with Apple Pay.

A traditional payment with a debit card generates 9 cents for the partnering financial institution, with Apple's current deal taking 5 cents per transaction, "more than half of the average income."

That doesn't sound right for debit. For debit transactions in the US, Apple gets 1/2 cent ($0.005) per transaction. Total. Which is still a lot for debit.

I think the French article was talking about credit transactions instead, saying that in the UK, Apple was getting about 5 cents per the average €45 transaction, or 0.11% (a bit lower than the 0.15% in the US). But that is still more than half of the fee that the French banks get for actually doing something.

Last edited:

Suspended
Dec 6, 2012
This is France. Nothing will get done until there are several strikes and a politician sleeps with someone. Until then, don't look for any progress.

Sacre Bleu, I am just kidding. please don't hate. Merci.

Last edited:
Reactions: Robert.Walter

unobtainium

macrumors 68030
Mar 27, 2011

A new report from French newspaper Les Echos (via iPhon.fr) [Google Translate] states that Apple Pay will be making its way to France by the end of the year. The introduction of Apple's mobile payment solution will be a gradual rollout, with "a small handful of major French banks" supporting the service in a pilot program period of three to five months.

apple-pay-twitter-800x372.jpg

No specific date was given for the start of the rollout, but the pilot program is rumored to launch by September. The current state of negotiations between Apple and French banks is said to be paused at the issue of the transaction amount for each time a user pays with Apple Pay. A traditional payment with a debit card generates 9 cents for the partnering financial institution, with Apple's current deal taking 5 cents per transaction, "more than half of the average income." Some of the French banks see hope for an agreement to be reached by pointing to Apple's agreement with banks in China.
Last week rumors about Apple Pay's expansion to France began with reports pointing to an official announcement by the company in the first half of 2016. Shortly thereafter, the service launched in China through a partnership with Union Pay. Including China, Apple Pay is currently available in the United States, United Kingdom, Canada, and Australia, with Hong Kong, Singapore, and Spain expected to launch by the end of 2016.

Article Link: Apple Pay Could See Slow Rollout in France Later This Year

Enjoy never using Apple Pay, France!

jmh600cbr

macrumors 65816
Feb 14, 2012
Our leaders will get you drunk and stone x100 before our major financial entities can agree on talks about Apple Pay

damn youth! this libertarian government is getting out of hand with their youth appeal for drug endorsement, i concur wholeheartedly that we need a government more focused on capitalism. and no this is not sarcasm.

mike2413088

Suspended
Jun 2, 2015
New York, USA
damn youth! this libertarian government is getting out of hand with their youth appeal for drug endorsement, i concur wholeheartedly that we need a government more focused on capitalism. and no this is not sarcasm.

Capitalism would eat most Canadians alive between the expensive health insurance, and expensive education costs.

ddrulez

macrumors regular
Dec 12, 2012
Germany
My bet is that Germany will be one of the last country's that will get Apple Pay. It's really frustrating:/

vault

macrumors regular
May 3, 2009
Apple Pay rollout is really slow, and the locked NFC chip is useless outside of four countries.
Meanwhile HCE payments start to become a thing, and of course they can't be used on iPhone, because someone somewhere can use competing Apple Pay :rolleyes:

SteveJobs2.0

macrumors 6502a
Mar 9, 2012
For all practical purposes there is no Apple Pay in Canada. I tried using it at multiple vendors and it never works. Most likely retailers that accept Amex do not accept Amex tap to pay

SBlue1

macrumors 68000
Oct 17, 2008
Oh please, bring it to Germany. Contactless payment is just about to take off, we could use some help from Apple. Most of my local supermarkets just started using contactless a few months ago and I just saw the first soft drink wending machine at the subway station blink and shine asking for contactless cards. :)

pat500000

Suspended
Jun 3, 2015
A gateway to buying drugs....
"So, how are you gonna pay for kilos?"
"With iwatch."
Beep-accepted
FBI agent spying with binoculars : "damn... They I didn't see them with cash."

Or another senario

"I like to purchase one prostitue please"
-beep- accepted

"Thank you"
Undercover cops: freeze! Ur under arrest!
"I didn't pay any cash"
"Oh.... I'm sorry.. Must be consentual intimacy."

Keane16

macrumors 6502a
Dec 8, 2007
You either leave your credit card at home or you don't. Until that happens, it's a cool proof of concept that admittedly works more efficiently once in a perfect world scenario.

We've had contacless for years in the UK (haven't seen a magnetic stripe reader for a long time - therefore the LoopPay features would be of no use. You pay contactless or insert the card into a reader and enter the PIN). But even here you can't leave home with your bank card as occasionally you need to insert your card and provide the PIN as a security check:

Q: How do MasterCard® contactless cards and devices work?
For extra security, you may occasionally be asked to insert your card and enter your PIN.

http://www.mastercard.co.uk/support/contactless-faq.html

Perhaps as contactless payments mature, we'll see new techniques which won't require a physical card.

Some markets like the US have just been slower to adopt the new standards. But they are - http://www.theguardian.com/commenti...credit-card-breach-chip-pin-technology-europe)

So I'm glad Apple didn't cater to the past by purchasing LoopPay. It would only slow down adoption of the better new methods.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.