Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Rumors surrounding the 4-inch "iPhone 5se" continue today with new information pointing to the possibility of Apple dropping the "5" from the name altogether and simply calling it the "iPhone SE." As reported by 9to5Mac, the new name would be a shift in focus on the 4-inch iPhone's "enhanced and special edition" status, making it stand out from the numerically named crowd of the iPhone family.

iphone5serendering-800x452.jpg
A design mock-up of the iPhone SE shows similarities to the iPhone 5s​
Based on Apple reinvigorating the 4-inch iPhone screen size at a time where the market is mostly moving toward larger smartphone screens, it would make sense for Apple to position this device as simply the "SE." Sources say that the dropping of the "5" from the name also simplifies the iPhone lineup as bringing back an iPhone "5" variant amid the iPhone "6" lifecycle could potentially confuse customers. The iPhone SE will replace the existing iPhone 5s and will take its price points.
Mock-ups from earlier in the week suggested that the iPhone SE will look near-identical to that of the iPhone 5s, with a body measuring in at 123.8mm tall, 58.6mm wide, and 7.6mm thick. The device is said to have an A9 processor, an M9 chip to accommodate the new fitness tracking features of iOS, and include "Hey Siri," Apple Pay, and Live Photos support.

The design renderings of the iPhone SE show conflicting claims in regards to the new iPhone's power button placement and camera, but the latter feature is said to support an 8-megapixel system. The iPhone SE is believed to come in the four expected color options of the iPhone line -- Silver, Space Gray, Rose Gold, and Gold -- and be available in 16GB and 64GB sizes.

It won't be long until we find out everything about the iPhone SE, with reports pointing towards a March 15 media event for the reveal of the new 4-inch iPhone. On the same day, Apple is predicted to announce what was thought to be called the "iPad Air 3," but is now believed to be a smaller 9.7-inch addition to the iPad Pro family.

Article Link: Apple's Upcoming 4-Inch Smartphone May Be Called 'iPhone SE'

CmdrLaForge

macrumors 601
Feb 26, 2003
around the world
What could SE stand for ? Special Edition? In any case much better then 5 SE. I thought thats a horrible name.

The rendering does not look as beautiful as my iPhone 5 with those great phases at the edge. I understand its not an render from Apple. Just wanted to say I hope it will be as good looking as my current iPhone 5.

Reactions: Jal217

KPandian1

macrumors 65816
Oct 22, 2013
Apple did lose a significant market share when it dropped the 5S size and form - may be Jobs had a point!

Six iPhones at home, only one 6S - the person with very large hands has it. As the oldest one, I prefer a larger screen - but 4" or 6" - the difference is minimal as one ages.

BJMRamage

macrumors 68030
Oct 2, 2007
Oh no. They're getting rid of the numbers. The ADHD marketing ruin everything. This is how we end up with things like "The New iPad"

with iPods or Macs, they used to just add a year alongside. this could work...though the iDevices have using "The New" a lot

emm386

macrumors 6502
Feb 5, 2016
iPhone Small Edition - another innovative break-through product from Apple - unter the lead of Tim Cook.

They just keep innovating and innovating... a new different form factor iPad, a new different form factor iPhone...what's next?

Laird Knox

macrumors 68000
Jun 18, 2010
Dropping the number and using the latest processor makes sense. I expect the refresh cycle for the SE will be longer than a single year.

On a historical note I recall when there was the Mac IIx (68030) and Mac SE (68000) they were about to introduce an SE with the 030 processor. There was talk of naming it the Mac SEx. :rolleyes:

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.