Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

An Apple patent application that could turn the Apple Watch into a fully fledged medical device was published by the U.S. Patent and Trademark Office on Thursday.

The application, titled "Care event detection and alerts", envisions a hardware system with the ability to monitor the surrounding environment for events that would require assistance from medical professionals, police, fire rescue or other emergency services.

patent-800x525.jpg

In one example, the device could be programmed to monitor a user's heart for arrhythmia and send out an alert to a spouse or emergency responder in the event of detection.

As noted by AppleInsider, the Apple Watch is not specifically mentioned in the document, but the device would likely fit the requirements of the system's goals, thanks to its advanced sensors and monitoring hardware.

In practice, a wearable and a host device could work in combination to detect a care event. For instance, an iPhone's accelerometer might detect a sudden change in acceleration in tandem with a loss of heart rate detection on an Apple Watch, signaling a cardiac arrest.

When a care event is detected, an alert is sent out by the system to a "care list", or predefined set of recipients established by the user or included in a device preset.

Screen-Shot-2016-03-10-at-12.26.44-800x370.jpg

The patent application notes that fine tuning of the system would be necessary to prevent false alarms, and that building a hierarchy into the care list could allow for a staggered escalation of response. For example, a user's spouse or family might be included in the first level for contacts for mid-severity crises, while the highest level could be saved for emergency responders in high-severity cases.

Prior to Apple unveiling the Apple Watch, reports indicated the device would come with 10 sensors to track health and fitness data. Many of these features were ultimately dropped by Apple because of inconsistency issues, leading some healthcare professionals to find the wearable disappointing in this regard. However, should it ever come to fruition, the system described in this latest patent could go some way to answering similar criticisms in the future.

Article Link: Apple Watch Patent Turns Device into Urgent Care Alert System

Chupa Chupa

macrumors G5
Jul 16, 2002
In theory it's a cool idea. My upper-70-something mom lives alone and too "proud" to wear a dedicated alert device. Freaks the hell out of us kids. She might wear something that was dual-purpose and hid the fact it was an alert system.

But my experience with AW is that it's monitoring accuracy is no where near what is needed to not trigger a lot of false positives. I don't trust my AW when I run, why would I trust it to know the proper time to call an ambulance?

"Help! I've fallen and I can't get up!"

It's funny until you have older parents that have fallen when alone or are at-risk but won't wear one of these alert bracelets because the ads became such a joke and they don't want to face reality that they are old and fragile.

NT1440

macrumors G5
May 18, 2008
In theory it's a cool idea. My upper-70-something mom lives alone and too "proud" to wear a dedicated alert device. Freaks the hell out of us kids. She might wear something that was dual-purpose and hid the fact it was an alert system.

But my experience with AW is that it's monitoring accuracy is no where near what is needed to not trigger a lot of false positives. I don't trust my AW when I run, why would I trust it to know the proper time to call an ambulance?

I sincerely doubt that this would be enacted on the current generation of Apple Watch.

Chupa Chupa

macrumors G5
Jul 16, 2002
I sincerely doubt that this would be enacted on the current generation of Apple Watch.

Understood. Just putting my opinion out there. It must be something Apple is or has considered. Just saying it does in fact have a long way to go before it gets to the point of being that accurate.

Reactions: centauratlas

Suspended
Dec 17, 2013
When I read these kinds of stories, my first reaction is interest and excitement at what may be possible in consumer devices, quickly followed by relief that I'm not the person that has to decide the logistics and parameters.

Mr. Donahue

macrumors 6502a
Sep 17, 2014
Life alert! I.D. Medical/allergy bracelet
It crops, chops, flops, dices, splices and slices! Just add water and watch your chia pet grow!
Wow!!!!' 55 easy payments of 49.99$ call now and recieve 2! That's right 2 for the price of 1 that's a $20,000.00 value!
But you must call in the next 10 mins

Michael Cavada

macrumors member
May 1, 2015
Pennsylvania

An Apple patent application that could turn the Apple Watch into a fully fledged medical device was published by the U.S. Patent and Trademark Office on Thursday.

The application, titled "Care event detection and alerts", envisions a hardware system with the ability to monitor the surrounding environment for events that would require assistance from medical professionals, police, fire rescue or other emergency services.

patent-800x525.jpg

In one example, the device could be programmed to monitor a user's heart for arrhythmia and send out an alert to a spouse or emergency responder in the event of detection.

As noted by AppleInsider, the Apple Watch is not specifically mentioned in the document, but the device would likely fit the requirements of the system's goals, thanks to its advanced sensors and monitoring hardware.

In practice, a wearable and a host device could work in combination to detect a care event. For instance, an iPhone's accelerometer might detect a sudden change in acceleration in tandem with a loss of heart rate detection on an Apple Watch, signaling a cardiac arrest.

When a care event is detected, an alert is sent out by the system to a "care list", or predefined set of recipients established by the user or included in a device preset.

Screen-Shot-2016-03-10-at-12.26.44-800x370.jpg

The patent application notes that fine tuning of the system would be necessary to prevent false alarms, and that building a hierarchy into the care list could allow for a staggered escalation of response. For example, a user's spouse or family might be included in the first level for contacts for mid-severity crises, while the highest level could be saved for emergency responders in high-severity cases.

Prior to Apple unveiling the Apple Watch, reports indicated the device would come with 10 sensors to track health and fitness data. Many of these features were ultimately dropped by Apple because of inconsistency issues, leading some healthcare professionals to find the wearable disappointing in this regard. However, should it ever come to fruition, the system described in this latest patent could go some way to answering similar criticisms in the future.

Article Link: Apple Watch Patent Turns Device into Urgent Care Alert System

69Mustang

macrumors 604
Jan 7, 2014
In between a rock and a hard place
Kind of obvious, but hopefully they implement it even without a patent. LOTS of uses for it.
I doubt anything will be done with it. Apple frequently files patents for things they never implement. I agree on the usefulness though. The 800lb gorilla in the room is the FDA. Getting FDA approval is a "Homerean" Odyssey. I think Cook spoke to a reluctance to go down that road when discussing the lack of sensors on the :apple:Watch.

Suspended
Dec 6, 2012
I doubt anything will be done with it. Apple frequently files patents for things they never implement. I agree on the usefulness though. The 800lb gorilla in the room is the FDA. Getting FDA approval is a "Homerean" Odyssey. I think Cook spoke to a reluctance to go down that road when discussing the lack of sensors on the :apple:Watch.
Very valid points. But with this patent, I could see Apple licensing it to someone that does want to go through the FDA process. The license would include some small royalty and an exclusive deal so those devices only work with an apple watch -- for example build the device into an bracelet for the apple watch. I know, I am making it up as I go, but this patent should not be shelved as it has some very practical and beneficial applications.

Reactions: Gasu E.

r-m

macrumors 6502a
May 7, 2010
thanks to its advanced sensors and monitoring hardware

Advanced sensors? It can't even give me an accurate or reliable reading for any heart rate above 120!
Whenever I exercise and my heart rate is higher than that, I'm always told my average was in the 90s. Hopeless.

Reactions: ohio.emt

erinsarah

macrumors 6502
Mar 17, 2011
Very valid points. But with this patent, I could see Apple licensing it to someone that does want to go through the FDA process. The license would include some small royalty and an exclusive deal so those devices only work with an apple watch -- for example build the device into an bracelet for the apple watch. I know, I am making it up as I go, but this patent should not be shelved as it has some very practical and beneficial applications.

Completely agree. I work for a medical device company, and I truly believe Apple does not want to be a medical device company but rather ENABLE MD companies to make cool devices and software that work around this. There's just way too much FDA red tape to get through. Of course Apple will be happy to collect a little licensing royalty on the side..

Reactions: 2457282

npmacuser5

macrumors 68000
Apr 10, 2015
Completely agree. I work for a medical device company, and I truly believe Apple does not want to be a medical device company but rather ENABLE MD companies to make cool devices and software that work around this. There's just way too much FDA red tape to get through. Of course Apple will be happy to collect a little licensing royalty on the side..
If you work for them here is some advice. The current devices are ugly, cheap looking, scream I am an invilid, and the marketing on fear is terrible. Apple will bring a cool factor with an Apple Watch device, style and function and it will sell. I think Apple would do very well and could radically change this market. The Boomers want cool.

ohio.emt

macrumors 6502a
Jul 18, 2008
Ohio
If they do this they really need to perfect it, or I can see an increase in false alarms. It already seems like we go on more false calls then anything. I can see people getting mad at Apple to come home to a broken door or window due to the watch saying they had fallen or were dying.

It's why I recommend to people with these systems to have a lock box outside that holds a key, or a door with a keypad lock. The security company can have the code in the system and pass it on. It can also be changed after each use if desired.

Last edited:

nightcap965

macrumors 6502a
Feb 11, 2004
Cape Cod
As someone with atrial fibrillation who is not always aware of it, this is what I've been waiting for. The quicker you can get back into sinus rhythm, the better. If caught early, the Valsalva Maneuver usually works.

joecool99

Suspended
Aug 20, 2008
USA

Does "freak out" helps? Think your parents or you will live forever?
Wake up...

Chupa Chupa

macrumors G5
Jul 16, 2002
Does "freak out" helps? Think your parents or you will live forever?
Wake up...

Wow! Either you are a cyborg or your parents did something really evil to you as a kid. Or maybe you are just a real life Chucky-type, the kind that liked to kick the neighbors dog when no one was looking.

No, I'm not 2 years old. I don't think my mom will live forever (my dad has already passed btw). But I did write that she would. But yes, it freaks me out that she would fall, not be able to get up or reach a phone to get help, and just lay their frightened and in agony for hours until someone checked in on her.

So yeah, it concerns me to extremes. It's common among children who have an independent elderly parent living alone. Does it help me? No. I didn't say it helped me. I said it worried me. Do you not understand the difference between those words?

Last edited:

joecool99

Suspended
Aug 20, 2008
USA
Wow! Either you are a cyborg or your parents did something really evil to you as a kid. Or maybe you are just a real life Chucky-type, the kind that liked to kick the neighbors dog when no one was looking.

No, I'm not 2 years old. I don't think my mom will live forever... my dad has already passed btw. That is quite different than what I said. It freaks me out that she would fall, not be able to get up or reach a phone and just lies their in pain for hours waiting for someone to check on her.

So yeah, it concerns me to extremes. It's common among children who have an independent elderly parent living alone. Does it help me? No. I didn't say it helped me. I said it worried me. Do you not understand the difference between those words?

Neither, i just don't live in a fantasy. I care deeply about LIVING THINGS and more without lying to myself the "show" will go on forever. You said "freak out" - do you understand the difference??!
Spend time with your parent now while you can and stop "freaking out". That did not ever help anyone!
Don't try to control all, you can't. If you want NSA style overwatch, then install WIFI cameras in her house to observe every minute of her life.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.