Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

At its media event in Cupertino today, Apple announced that iOS 9.3 will begin to rollout as a free update to users worldwide today. As previously announced thanks to betas of the software, the update will bring new features to iOS, mainly centering around Night Shift.

f1458582067-800x448.jpg

Updates to older apps like Apple News will see some small UI shifts to highlight breaking news stories, and the company announced that its CarPlay features will continue to appear on a wide array of vehicles in the coming year. Also briefly touched upon in iOS 9.3 was a featured called "Education," which will allow teachers and administration access to organizational features inside of classrooms on devices like the iPad.

Stay up-to-date with the event today on the MacRumors live stream.

Update: iOS 9.3 is now available for compatible iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch devices.

Article Link: Apple Announces iOS 9.3 is Launching Today [Updated]

Reactions: ScreenSavers

cableguy84

macrumors 68000
Sep 7, 2015
Only part of the announcement i was looking forward to was 9.3.
The rest was very underwhelming

Last edited:
Reactions: nburwell

frumpy16

macrumors 65816
Dec 8, 2008
I'm on Beta 7 and Software Update shows that I'm up to date.

I don't think it's actually dropped yet. Give it a few hours.

Also- so no corresponding WatchOS update today? This seemed like the obvious time to release it alongside the iOS update and new bands.

Cancelled
Dec 4, 2011
Looks like the servers are being hammered after all these years of waiting for an update - getting this when trying to check for this OS 9.3 update currently:

Untitled.png

Looking forward to the increased snappiness of Internet Explorer after the update! Shame they didn't announce the PowerBook/iBook G5 along with this long-awaited update though, guess we'll have to wait until WWDC for those...

Oh wait...iOS 9.3? :(

macrumors 601
May 19, 2011
I was hoping they'd announce a few more features for the News app to be honest. I hate that there's no 'end' to the news stream. I used to love using Zite cause you'd eventually run out of stories and you felt like you'd seen everything and you'd return later. But Apple News just gives you endless lists of articles and you have to actively decide to abandon it.

frumpy16

macrumors 65816
Dec 8, 2008
Well as long as one stranger on the internet says they installed it, you should start to panic. Mine still says 9.2.1 is up to date (not on beta personally). It is usually not an instant release.

ghostface147

macrumors 601
May 28, 2008
I also get the requested resource is not found error. They are probably getting slammed right now and for anyone who has downloaded and installed it, a build number would be nice. Can't be too much higher than beta 7, if at all. It wouldn't surprise me if it's the same build.

Reactions: kch50428

jhoff8600

macrumors member
Mar 21, 2016
Only part of the announcement i was looking forward to.
The rest was very underwhelming

I actually found the 5SE to be very compelling. That is a lot of new technology at a much lower price point that the 6S. Good on you apple for not making those with smaller hands or smaller pocket books sacrifice the most essential current technology.

Also, removing that little plastic lip that used to hold and protect the edges of the cover glass, and instead using 2.5D curved glass to get rid of the 90 degree stress point that originally required the protection in the first place is a really nice subtle touch.

However, I do agree, the apple watch needs to continue to advanced. New bands wont cut it. Make it faster, brighter, longer battery life, more independent, more sensors, slimmer, then I'll part with my hard earned cash for an "accessory" device.

mdawid

macrumors regular
Mar 14, 2011
Software update on iPhone says I'm up to date at 9.2.1 but iTunes says update available - 9.2.1

Odd.

View attachment 622227

I had the same issue - though, I plugged my iPhone into my Macbook last night and record the message then. Not a new thing. I just checked again - same. Letting it re-download and install or do whatever so I can update to 9.3 without hangup.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.