Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple never announces the RAM in its iOS devices, so that metric often remains a mystery until a device teardown or benchmarking tests. TechCrunch's Matthew Panzarino has an iPhone SE and a new iPad Pro on hand, and was able to use a memory checking app to determine the RAM in both devices.

Based on his testing, it appears that both the iPhone SE and the 9.7-inch iPad Pro include 2GB of RAM.

ipadproiphoneseram-800x600.jpg

2GB RAM puts the iPhone SE on par with the iPhone 6s and the iPhone 6s Plus, both of which also include 2GB of RAM. As for the 9.7-inch iPad Pro, 2GB RAM means its performance isn't going to measure up to the 12.9-inch iPad Pro, which is equipped with 4GB RAM.

As was recently discovered, the 9.7-inch iPad Pro also features a slightly underclocked A9X processor, another factor that will impact its performance compared to the larger tablet.

Geekbench testing by Panzarino suggests the iPhone SE is not underlocked compared to the iPhone 6s, with the A9 in the device running at 1.85GHz. On the test, the iPhone SE received a single-core score of 2538 and a multi-core score of 4421, on par with or slightly better than tests conducted on the iPhone 6s.

iphonesegeekbench-800x532.jpg

Given that it includes the same processor and the same RAM, the iPhone SE is as powerful as the iPhone 6s despite its much smaller form factor and lower price. The new iPad Pro, while less powerful than its larger sibling, has its own unique features, including a 12 megapixel camera with rear flash and a unique True Tone display.

Article Link: 9.7-inch iPad Pro and iPhone SE Both Have 2GB RAM

Radon87000

macrumors 604
Nov 29, 2013
This is a shameful moneygrab by Apple.The device is nothing more than a Air 3.TC just gave it a "Pro" label and jacked up the price.2 GB of ram and an underclocked A9X prove this is NO pro device in the slightest.Even Surface 3 provides 4 gigs of RAM for sub 500 bucks

Sasparilla

macrumors 68000
Jul 6, 2012
2GB RAM on the SE. Wow, I've been waiting for the shoe to drop on that phone somehow, but it didn't - its going to get OS updates for as long as a 6s (if it was 1GB it could potentially get cut off in the future, but not at 2GB).

Apple is going to sell a ton of these. Great job Cook and Co..

ArtOfWarfare

macrumors G3
Nov 26, 2007
What is the RAM on the iPad Air 2 (I find it odd that isn't included in the article.)

Edit: As three people have said, it's 2 GB.

Last edited:

SMIDG3T

Suspended
Apr 29, 2012
England
Good news about the iPhone SE. I was thinking it would only come with 1GB of RAM. This'll mean it might well outperform the iPhone 6s and the iPhone 6s Plus as it has much less pixels to push through to the screen. Battery life might also be better because of the same reason. I am so tempted to sell my iPhone 6s and get one of these.

JackieInCo

Suspended
Jul 18, 2013
Colorado
I just read a report on Cult of Mac that says the 9.7 iPad Pro is slower then the 12.9 inch even though they have the same processor. They think it could be under clocked to control the heat in a smaller enclosure orcould be to help with the battery life.

Reactions: jajaja and bobob

chrisherbert

macrumors regular
Jun 25, 2012
That's great news for the SE and makes it a really compelling option for the price.

2GB of RAM, however, just doesn't feel like enough for an iPad. My old iPad 3 has 1GB of RAM and virtually any website will crash it within a few minutes after running out of RAM. Just having double the RAM isn't going to do it. Actually, even 4GB might not be enough, though I'll admit I haven't used the big iPad Pro for more than a few minutes.

Sadly, modern webpages are incredibly RAM heavy. On my desktop I commonly see "infinite scrolling" style sites consume multiple gigabytes of ram for a single tab. The move to more and more JS framework-driven sites means this is only going to be become more common.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.