Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

The Pokémon Company today released more information about its upcoming augmented reality mobile game Pokémon GO, which blends the series' trademarked collectible gameplay with location-based discovery thanks to the technology of modern smartphones. As in its original September announcement, the company reiterated that the app itself will be free at launch, with in-app purchases available to round out the experience.

Pokémon GO works by notifying players when they're near a catchable Pokémon, and now the company is explaining how the catching process works: gamers will use their smartphone to "take aim" at where the Pokémon is waiting and use one of their collected Poké Balls to capture it. As is normal in games of the series, there's a chance for the capture to fail or for the Pokémon to run away before it can be caught.

Pokemon-GO-iOS-screenshots.jpg

There will also be a new feature called PokéStops, "located at interesting places, such as public art installations, historical markers, and monuments," that act as a sort of rest stop for users to restock on Poké Balls and Pokémon Eggs -- which use the pedometer of a smartphone to hatch after a certain number of steps. The more the game is played, the faster players can level up their Trainer and discover higher-level Pokémon in the wild while gaining access to more powerful items.

Similar to PokéStops, Pokémon GO will use the well-known feature of the Gym to provide community hubs in certain locations around the globe. But these areas won't be as peaceful-minded as PokéStops, with players able to challenge the ownership of a Gym and potentially gain control over it with their team of Pokémon. Although it will lack the story-driven experience of a proper game in the series, these features hint that there will be some sort of structure to Pokémon GO.
At a certain point in the game, you'll be asked to join one of three teams. Once you join a team, you'll gain the ability to assign Pokémon you've caught to empty Gym locations or to a location where a team member has placed one of his or her Pokémon. Like PokéStops, Gyms can be found at real locations in the world. Each player can place only one Pokémon at a particular Gym, so you're encouraged to work with others on the team to build up a strong defense.

If a Gym is already claimed by another team, you can challenge that Gym using your own Pokémon. Using the Pokémon you've caught, engage in battle with the defending Pokémon at the Gym to claim control.
The Pokémon Company reiterated that all of "the features, available languages, design, and overall appearance" of the game are not yet final, but a trial run is currently being conducted in Japan to iron out the experience before a wide release, which has also yet to be confirmed.

There's been a lot of news surrounding traditionally console exclusive companies emerging into the smartphone gaming market, including Pokémon parent company Nintendo, and now Sony, which just announced it'll be bringing some of its characters to smartphones beginning in Japan and Asia.

Check out The Pokémon Company's official press release for more information on Pokémon GO.

Article Link: The Pokémon Company Releases New Details and Screenshots for 'Pokémon GO'

Fzang

macrumors 65816
Jun 15, 2013
God I hate the overuse of capitalisation on these GO logos. It's always some **** in the company that thinks adding capitals makes something brandable. MUPPETS!™ ;)

Writing Latin letter text in caps is a quite common phenomenon in Japan though.

KUguardgrl13

macrumors 68020
May 16, 2013
Kansas, USA
So cool! I hope it's on the App Store and Google Play, so I can play with all of my fellow pokénerd friends! Need a full party of fire starters!

aarond12

macrumors 65816
May 20, 2002
Dallas, TX USA
Having just read that other article about Sony, let the mobile wars between Nintendo and Sony begin!! My body is ready.
Sony lost the mobile wars long ago. While I love my Vita and use it nearly daily, Sony has all but abandoned it in the US. Even its screen-less sibling, the PS TV, has been abandoned. The Vita is a superior system technically speaking, but the 3DS has the support of Nintendo and third-party developers.

Sony owns the console space, though. If "The Pokémon Company" came out with a good AR Pokémon game for the PS4 and PS VR, it's game over for Nintendo.

macduke

macrumors G5
Jun 27, 2007
Sony lost the mobile wars long ago. While I love my Vita and use it nearly daily, Sony has all but abandoned it in the US. Even its screen-less sibling, the PS TV, has been abandoned. The Vita is a superior system technically speaking, but the 3DS has the support of Nintendo and third-party developers.

Sony owns the console space, though. If "The Pokémon Company" came out with a good AR Pokémon game for the PS4 and PS VR, it's game over for Nintendo.
I'm talking about the new wars on smartphones, not dedicated mobile game devices. Sorry for the confusion. It's a whole different ballgame.

Cancelled
Sep 11, 2014
Might just be the first Pokemon game that I've played since ~2000 when Crystal came out.
I've started and gotten midway through a lot of them but I never seem to finish. I'm glad to finally get a Pokemon game on my IPhone. I'm a bit old too be carrying a 3DS but I have done it anyway. I'd prefer to just use my iPhone.

neoelectronaut

Cancelled
Dec 3, 2003
Surprise, surprise, it looks terrible.
[doublepost=1459233903][/doublepost]
Having just read that other article about Sony, let the mobile wars between Nintendo and Sony begin!! My body is ready.

Though this app has nothing to do with Nintendo...
[doublepost=1459234027][/doublepost]
I'm a bit old too be carrying a 3DS but I have done it anyway.

What the hell is this nonsense? The 3DS doesn't have an age range

Cancelled
Sep 11, 2014
Surprise, surprise, it looks terrible.
[doublepost=1459233903][/doublepost]

Though this app has nothing to do with Nintendo...
[doublepost=1459234027][/doublepost]

What the hell is this nonsense? The 3DS doesn't have an age range
Lol, but the other moms look me kind of strange.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.