Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple has temporarily stopped offering the iOS 9.3 update for older devices like the iPad Air and earlier and the iPhone 5s and earlier due to installation issues some users have experienced. On older devices, iOS 9.3 requires users to input the Apple ID and password originally used to set up the device, which can lead to the device becoming stuck at the Activation Lock screen if the original account information can't be recalled.

In a statement given to iMore, Apple says it is working on a fix and plans to issue a new version of iOS 9.3 in the next few days. Customers with an affected device who attempt to download iOS 9.3 during this time will not be able to install the update as Apple has stopped signing it.

activateiphoneerror.jpg
Updating some iOS devices (iPhone 5s and earlier and iPad Air and earlier) to iOS 9.3 can require entering the Apple ID and password used to set up the device in order to complete the software update," an Apple spokesperson told iMore. "In some cases, if customers do not recall their password, their device will remain in an inactivated state until they can recover or reset their password. For these older devices, we have temporarily pulled back the update and will release an updated version of iOS 9.3 in the next few days that does not require this step."
For customers who have already installed iOS 9.3 and have gotten stuck at the Activation Lock, Apple has published a support document with steps on how to solve the issue. Apple recommends removing Activation Lock via iCloud or attempting to enter an Apple ID or password through iTunes.

Update: Apple has released a new build of iOS 9.3 for the iPad 2 and may be planning to roll out updates for additional devices. Apple has not yet resumed signing iOS 9.3 for affected devices.

Article Link: Apple Temporarily Pulls iOS 9.3 Update for Older iOS Devices

farewelwilliams

Suspended
Jun 18, 2014
while an extreme minor case, I'd imagine there is a customer that enabled two factor authentication tied to their only apple device. assuming they forgot the password, that means there's no way to reset and they're locked permanently...?

npmacuser5

macrumors 68000
Apr 10, 2015
while an extreme minor case, I'd imagine there is a customer that enabled two factor authentication tied to their only apple device. assuming they forgot the password, that means there's no way to reset and they're locked permanently...?
Better have their recovery key.

Last edited:
Reactions: steven.ieslive

macduke

macrumors G5
Jun 27, 2007
I had my iCloud login screen lockup when I upgraded my 6s. Nothing responded until I locked the phone and unlocked it to try again. The text selection magnifying glass was stuck on the screen where I was trying to type, but I was able to get my password in regardless.

Probably the FBI intercepted the software and put in a key logger for our passwords, haha. Yeah, that's it!

Swift

macrumors 68000
Feb 18, 2003
Los Angeles
Everybody's got their panties in a knot. When there were 12 Apple devices in existence -- I know, I was one of them -- you would download it and it worked. From Compuserve. Or you could take 5 floppies to the computer store, and they'd let you have a copy of System 6 for free! Now, we're in the world of a billion Apple devices. It might take a day or so, but they'll work it out. I updated my iPad mini v2 with Retina, and that went perfectly.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.