Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Verizon customers planning on upgrading to the iPhone SE or another new smartphone should do so sooner rather than later, as the U.S.'s largest carrier has outlined plans to introduce a new $20 upgrade fee starting next week.

Beginning next Monday, April 4, a new $20 flat rate charge will be applied to smartphones purchased on a Device Payment financing plan, or at full retail price, according to a leaked internal memo obtained by MacRumors.

Verizon-Upgrade-Fees.jpg

The same $20 premium will also apply to customers taking advantage of Apple's new iPhone Upgrade Program. Verizon cites "increasing support costs associated with customers switching their devices" as a reason for the new fees.

The new upgrade fees will impact all consumer accounts, as well as business accounts without an ECPD profile. Verizon's existing $40 upgrade fee for customers renewing a two-year contract with a new device remains in place.

The new $20 upgrade fee will be charged at the point of sale through direct Verizon sales channels, while the fee will be added to the customer's next bill when the smartphone is purchased through an indirect reseller.

AT&T similarly charges $15 per smartphone added or upgraded with AT&T Next, and "bring your own" devices. Sprint also charges an upgrade or activation fee up to $36 per device. T-Mobile does not have upgrade fees.

Article Link: Verizon Introducing $20 Fee to Upgrade Your Smartphone

chsweb

macrumors newbie
Oct 8, 2015
Charleston, SC
Does anyone know if this new fee applies to people who upgrade at an Apple Store? I've never been to a Verizon Store for any iPhone needs, I am assuming (hoping) that if you upgrade in an Apple Store, there is no additional fee.

Anyone know?

kodos

macrumors 6502
May 1, 2010
I don't understand. I buy a new phone, and swap my SIM card out. How does Verizon know or care? Is this if you go into the store and hand them a shiny new phone, or purchase it from them? If so - one less reason to go into the store. Just do it from home. Buy the phone from Apple or (whoever).

I just bought a Moto X Pure Edition, plugged in my old SIM card into it; AT&T didn't care.

Mr. Buzzcut

macrumors 65816
Jul 25, 2011
Ohio
This is such nonsense, and a shining example of why telecom needs regulation.

Take SIM card out of old phone, insert it into new phone. Go online, and update the IMEI numbers if needed. How does this warrant a $20 fee?

So you'd rather have another monthly regulatory compliance recovery fee? I don't think we can win other than jumping between carriers.

iSee

macrumors 68040
Oct 25, 2004

Verizon customers planning on upgrading to the iPhone SE or another new smartphone should do so sooner rather than later, as the U.S.'s largest carrier has outlined plans to introduce a new $20 upgrade fee starting next week.

Beginning next Monday, April 4, a new $20 flat rate charge will be applied to smartphones purchased on a Device Payment financing plan, or at full retail price, according to a leaked internal memo obtained by MacRumors.

Verizon-Upgrade-Fees.jpg

The same $20 premium will also apply to customers taking advantage of Apple's new iPhone Upgrade Program. Verizon cites "increasing support costs associated with customers switching their devices" as a reason for the new fees.

The new upgrade fees will impact all consumer accounts, as well as business accounts without an ECPD profile. Verizon's existing $40 upgrade fee for customers renewing a two-year contract with a new device remains in place.

The new $20 upgrade fee will be charged at the point of sale through direct Verizon sales channels, while the fee will be added to the customer's next bill when the smartphone is purchased through an indirect reseller.

AT&T similarly charges $15 per smartphone added or upgraded with AT&T Next, and "bring your own" devices. Sprint also charges an upgrade or activation fee up to $36 per device. T-Mobile does not have upgrade fees.

Article Link: Verizon Introducing $20 Fee to Upgrade Your Smartphone

Guys, it's just a regular loyalty program, no need to get all upset.

Well, *you* pay *them* for your loyalty, but I'm sure it all makes sense to the Verizon bean counters.

JoshGlzBrk

macrumors 6502a
Aug 27, 2009
Does anyone know if this new fee applies to people who upgrade at an Apple Store? I've never been to a Verizon Store for any iPhone needs, I am assuming (hoping) that if you upgrade in an Apple Store, there is no additional fee.

Anyone know?

Buying from Verizon's online site or in their stores, if you buy your phone at full price, or use their device payment program you'll pay a $20 upgrade free. If you use a 2-year contract upgrade you'll pay $40. At the Apple store, if you use Apple's completely separate iPhone upgrade program, you will pay a $20 upgrade free. If you buy the phone at full price, you won't have an upgrade fee.

Reactions: PotatoLeekSoup

Böhme417

macrumors 6502a
Mar 11, 2009
I don't understand. I buy a new phone, and swap my SIM card out. How does Verizon know or care? Is this if you go into the store and hand them a shiny new phone, or purchase it from them? If so - one less reason to go into the store. Just do it from home. Buy the phone from Apple or (whoever).

I just bought a Moto X Pure Edition, plugged in my old SIM card into it; AT&T didn't care.

If you're not buying it from them, I would assume it falls under the "customer provided equipment" with no fee. It's like they are charging you an additional $20 for the "privilege" of getting the phone from them.

Reactions: rickyt07
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.