Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Cougarcat

macrumors 604
Original poster
Sep 19, 2003
I'm very interested in Extremely Brave Souls who have turned Optimized Storage on and have sacrificed their data to the iCloud beta gods in the name of science.

How much storage did you save? How much storage are you using on iCloud? How exactly does it handle the re-downloading of files that it deleted? Etc.

I'm wondering if Apple will improve their iCloud plans come the Fall release now that data use will likely skyrocket...

Icaras

macrumors 603
Mar 18, 2008
This is one of the top features I am most excited for in Sierra, and I'm very happy to hear that this will not take any space on your iCloud data allotment plan.

I have some concerns though, one being what happens to very large sized apps that get stored in the cloud. For example I have several games that I've purchased through the Mac App Store, some as large as 20GBs. How bad will it be when I decide to launch one of these games that have been storage optimized?

Apple_Robert

Contributor
Sep 21, 2012
In the middle of several books.
This is one of the top features I am most excited for in Sierra, and I'm very happy to hear that this will not take any space on your iCloud data allotment plan.

I have some concerns though, one being what happens to very large sized apps that get stored in the cloud. For example I have several games that I've purchased through the Mac App Store, some as large as 20GBs. How bad will it be when I decide to launch one of these games that have been storage optimized?
Where does it say, that data stored in iCloud Drive doesn't count against your iCloud data allotment? I haven't seen that yet.

Reactions: grahamperrin

Icaras

macrumors 603
Mar 18, 2008
Where does it say, that data stored in iCloud Drive doesn't count against your iCloud data allotment? I haven't seen that yet.

Oh I'm sorry. I thought grahamperrin above me answered Cougercat's post above his about it not taking iCloud storage space.

Now I'm confused :confused: and he also gave you a thumbs up so now I'm really confused o_O

MacGizmo

macrumors 68040
Apr 27, 2003
Arizona
I think there is Apple's "reality distortion field" and then there's just "reality" when it comes to this feature. The reality is that it's most likely going to work for people who have tons and tons of text files and small graphics. It just doesn't seem like something a serious professional would want happening with their data.

Quite frankly, I would have been much more excited if Apple had added the ability for me to have my Documents folder and Desktop folder auto-synced with the iCloud storage I'm paying for—instead of forcing me to use the stupid "iCloud Drive" folder. I hate using a specialized folder to store my files in (which is why I hate Dropbox and Adobe Creative Cloud storage options as well).

Cougarcat

macrumors 604
Original poster
Sep 19, 2003
Quite frankly, I would have been much more excited if Apple had added the ability for me to have my Documents folder and Desktop folder auto-synced with the iCloud storage I'm paying for—instead of forcing me to use the stupid "iCloud Drive" folder. I hate using a specialized folder to store my files in (which is why I hate Dropbox and Adobe Creative Cloud storage options as well).

They announced desktop folder sync. No idea if it uses your iCloud or if it's just meant for syncing with your macs locally though. Personally, I will leave it off--I don't necessarily want the huge file I temporarily placed on my desktop on my smaller laptop as well.

I used to care about that, but I've used Dropbox for so long that it has in effect become my documents folder.

MacGizmo

macrumors 68040
Apr 27, 2003
Arizona
They announced desktop folder sync. No idea if it uses your iCloud or if it's just meant for syncing with your macs locally though. Personally, I will leave it off--I don't necessarily want the huge file I temporarily placed on my desktop on my smaller laptop as well.

I used to care about that, but I've used Dropbox for so long that it has in effect become my documents folder.

I'm the same way with iCloud Drive. ALL my files are in the iCloud Drive folder. Everything. My problem is that I would prefer to use the actual Documents, Downloads, Desktop, etc. folders in my Home folder.

Like you, I've gotten used to it, but it's still annoying. I have 20GB of free storage on Dropbox as well, but I rarely use it simply because I don't want to spread my files out across multiple places for daily use.

grahamperrin

macrumors 601
Jun 8, 2007
They announced desktop folder sync. No idea if it uses your iCloud

Above (linked from post 4), Apple's main page for Sierra outlines what can be done with Desktop and Documents folders in the iCloud context.

or if it's just meant for syncing with your macs locally …

Maybe of interest: FileSync – Support for portable home directories has been removed. … – FileSync is/was traditionally used to sync the home folder of a Mac client, with an OS X Server on the local area network. If you find the following folder –

~/Library/FileSync

– then the Mac probably has, at some time, used that technology.

I don't yet know (have not sought information about) what will be offered by the server flavour of Sierra. An early guess is that the server flavour of either 10.12 or 10.13 will benefit from novel approaches such as per-extent encryption.

ljonesj

macrumors 6502a
Oct 20, 2009
Kingsport TN
im someone who does not like a lot of cloud based stuff especially one that moves my files itself i do like were i can redownload my movies and such from itunes but i dont liek the space optimizations were it decides to move my stuff itself let me do that on my own

ljonesj

macrumors 6502a
Oct 20, 2009
Kingsport TN
yeah when it comes out im going to install it to another ssd by usb 3.0 ive got the innatek enclosure that supports usap and have 2 time machines running to test it and shut that off

Itzamna

macrumors 6502
Jun 5, 2011
Do we have any kind of control? Or the SO just moves what he thinks he should move? If its like that, i can see several problems with that approach...

ljonesj

macrumors 6502a
Oct 20, 2009
Kingsport TN
they are saying there is control over it but this is apple so i would say it could stay or they can take it away they control the walled garden to much and they think we dont know whats the best for us

ill also will be getting the public beta to do test myself

leman

macrumors Core
Oct 14, 2008
What I understood is that Optimised Storage simply refers to on-demand loading of your iCloud Drive data, leaving more space on your local disk. In fact, we already had that with iPhoto libraries. I don't see how that feature would not count agains your iCloud data limit or how it would 'eat' your other files. Think of it as a Fusion drive with the second, slower part of the disk being in the Cloud.

myname70

macrumors 6502a
May 5, 2014
But Apple write it in the settings that the Optimised Mac storage will keep iCloud Drive FULL copy on your local iMac only if you have enough local space. Otherwise - it will keep the older files on the iCloud Drive (it means - the files you set to be saved and sync on iCloud). Is this the option we are talking about ? See attached.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2016-06-23 at 22.56.52.png
    Screen Shot 2016-06-23 at 22.56.52.png
    43.8 KB · Views: 391

LizKat

macrumors 604
Aug 5, 2004
Catskill Mountains
I'd leave optimised storage setting at OFF, unless there are a lot of ways to refine the permitted scope of operations. The last thing I want is someone other than myself deciding that since I've not recently looked at assorted screenshots, epub books that "have been read" and etc., etc., it means they could be moved off local storage. They're in local storage because I want to be able to access them any time I feel like it, including the majority of time when I am not online.

Mcmeowmers

macrumors 6502
Jun 1, 2015
I'd leave optimised storage setting at OFF, unless there are a lot of ways to refine the permitted scope of operations. The last thing I want is someone other than myself deciding that since I've not recently looked at assorted screenshots, epub books that "have been read" and etc., etc., it means they could be moved off local storage. They're in local storage because I want to be able to access them any time I feel like it, including the majority of time when I am not online.

Couldn't agree more.

I also think this is a strange feature to add. I think they should have implemented a better uninstall/cache clean up. But instead we get "We'll upload those word docs you haven't read in 2 weeks for you" Lol what?

myname70

macrumors 6502a
May 5, 2014
I think the main benefits of this is to share and have the Same desktop and documents on all macs you login.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.