$1999 for 17" PB

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by mariahlullaby, Mar 26, 2005.

1. mariahlullaby macrumors 6502a

mariahlullaby

Is $1999 a good deal for a 17" PB (refurb)?? It's on the Apple site and is looking mighty tempting :p.

PowerBook G4 1.5GHz/ 512MB/ 80GB/ SuperDrive/ AP Extreme Card/ GigE/ 17-inch/ Aluminum - Apple Certified

I mean....I don't really *need* a 17" display, but that seems like a heck of a price. What do you think?

2. chaosbunny macrumors 68000

chaosbunny

Sounds like a good deal! If you want a powerbook and are not one of those who always need the newest and best, go for it. :)

3. JzzTrump22 macrumors 65816

Thats definately something i would consider buying.

4. FFTT macrumors 68030

FFTT

That sounds like a good price for a 17" PB, but you might still consider
    the improved portability of the 15" model with the faster 1.67 GHz processor and improved graphics support with the optional 128 MB GPU card and support for up to the 30" displays.

Tough choices all depending on your needs.

$2099 will also get you a refurbed G5 2.0 dual tower if you already have a good monitor.

5. crdean1 macrumors 6502a

crdean1

The question with any laptop is what are you going to use it for. For me, even at a good price, a 17" would be too bulky as I lug it to school with me. While it is a sweet laptop, you may want to go with one that suits your needs the best.

With that said, if you have extra money and are just porting it around a few times a month, that would be sweet. It is the best powerbook.

6. mariahlullaby thread starter macrumors 6502a

mariahlullaby

Yeah, I've decided not to get it. For some reason I thought 17" PBs were normally $2799 :eek:. A great deal, just not the deal I thought it was. And I think 17" is probably too bulky. I think I'm gonna wait until April and get a mini, cinema display. Then, whenever the new PB's come out, I'll sell the mini and get a loaded 12" or 15" for college, but keep the display to hook it up to. :)

7. FFTT macrumors 68030

FFTT

Considering that school expenses may limit your budget, you may consider
    going for that loaded 12" or 15" PowerBook and wait a while for the larger
    display prices to fall.

The 12" Superdrive 1.5 GHz PB @ $1499 (education) or 15" @$2099 gets you rolling now at the most affordable price with a very professional system.

Either fully supports a larger display when needed.

For a student, I think the PowerBook is a better value with far more
    versatility than a mini/display solution.

8. mleok macrumors member

Dell has the 2005FPW, which after coupons and other specials is going for about $500, it's a 20" LCD 1680x1050, so it's functionally equivalent to the 20" Apple Cinema Display. It has VGA, DVI, and video inputs, and the screen quality is excellent.

In addition, it has a pivoting mount, and there are rumors that Tiger will support pivoting. The Apple Cinema Display has a beautiful case, but for the price, you could get two Dell displays, so you really have to ask yourself how much that Apple logo is worth to you.

9. mariahlullaby thread starter macrumors 6502a

mariahlullaby

Well I'm not going to college for another year, so why buy a PB now when it can just be oudtdated? The 15" is nice, but I don't want put all my money into a laptop I don't *really* need that is less powerful. I'd rather spend the money on an iMac.

10. Demon Hunter macrumors 68020

I think your plan is solid Mariah. :) I thought about getting a 12" and a cinema display for the longest time, but I think some great updates for the 12" are in store, like maybe widescreen and a definite graphics update.