1G Nano Battery Discharge w/o Use

Discussion in 'iPod' started by lwr32, Jun 24, 2006.

1. lwr32 macrumors newbie

Jun 24, 2006
    Sacramento, CA
    Hi All,

I'm new here and have a question. How long is a 1G Nano battery suppose to last when not being charged and not in use? I went on vacation on Wednesday afternoon. I had unplugged my fully charged nano Wednesday morning and packed it for vacation. Thursday night when I went to use it, the battery was completely drained :mad: Does this mean I need a new battery?

2. lamina macrumors 68000

Mar 9, 2006
    From Canada, living in Seoul
    While I can't give you a number on how long its supposed to last fully charged and not in use, the issue you describe definitely isn't what's supposed to be happening.

How do you charge your Nano? Do you keep it plugged into your computer or do you use a wall adapter? If you do charge it through your computer's USB port, is your computer really old (as in 4+ years)? Does it take a while for songs to transfer?

If so, you have USB 1.x and your Nano will not charge properly. Only USB 2.0 (available on pretty much all computers 4 years and newer) will have power to charge a device.

If your computer is relatively new (within the last 4 years), you very well may have a defective iPod. Check out www.apple.com/support/ipod for more information.
  3. Killyp macrumors 68040

Jun 14, 2006
    Same thing happened to my iPod mini. I took it back to Apple who said it was most probably a problem with the battery. They replaced it and it worked fine for a while. Now it's started doing it all over again (along with a list of other problems).
  4. feelthefire macrumors 6502a

Jun 13, 2006
    did you flip the hold switch, or is it possible it got turned on while it was packed?

All iPods use some battery while turned off until they shut down fully after about 24 hrs. If yours got turned on, it would drain the battery much faster.