Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

andiwm2003

macrumors 601
Original poster
Mar 29, 2004
Boston, MA
so, on my 1,5GHz G4 Powerbook the 1GB stick Apple Ram bought in the Apple store just died (the second time!). Hardware test says so and it simply doesn't show up in the "about this Mac" anymore.

of course Apples generous 1 year warranty expired end of February.

My questions:

1.) any chance that resetting parameter ram or pmu would help (i guess not)?

2.) my powerbook has apple care but i bought the ram later from apple. could it still be covered?

3.) could removing and reinserting the ram help?

4.) how much is 1GB ram at the apple store right now?

BTW.: working with 256MB is really slooooooooow

andi

puckhead193

macrumors G3
May 25, 2004
NY
weird my pb ram slot is bent luckly i have a 1 gig stick so they moved the stick to the working slot, did u try that? i have to send it out to be fixed thank god for applecare.

WildCowboy

Administrator/Editor
Staff member
Jan 20, 2005
Among the covered items: "An AirPort Extreme Card, an AirPort Express or AirPort Extreme Base Station, an Apple-branded DVI to ADC display adapter, and Apple RAM modules are also covered under APP if owned by you and used with the Covered Equipment." Source

It doesn't say anything about when the RAM had to have been purchased, so I'd imagine you'd be covered. Give them a call...it can't hurt to ask!

CanadaRAM

macrumors G5
andiwm2003 said:
so, on my 1,5GHz G4 Powerbook the 1GB stick Apple Ram bought in the Apple store just died (the second time!). Hardware test says so and it simply doesn't show up in the "about this Mac" anymore.

of course Apples generous 1 year warranty expired end of February.

My questions:

1.) any chance that resetting parameter ram or pmu would help (i guess not)?
Not likely, but it doesn't hurt to try
2.) my powerbook has apple care but i bought the ram later from apple. could it still be covered?
Check the terms and conditions
3.) could removing and reinserting the ram help?
Yes, if the RAM was improperly inserted in the first place. While you are in there, swap the 256 and 1 Gb into the opposite sockets, and see if the 1 Gb appears while the 256 dies. If so, it's a socket problem, not a modules problem, and covered possibly by Apples extended lower-socket-failure warranty
4.) how much is 1GB ram at the apple store right now?
If you do have to shell out from your own pocket you would be far better to go with a reputable third-party vendor
BTW.: working with 256MB is really slooooooooow
andi
Word...

conditionals

macrumors regular
May 5, 2005
Australia
A few months ago, one of my powerbook ram slots just disappeared. I had 1.25 and then I had 1... with no warning. Took out the 256 and it was in perfect working order... the slot just died.

Apple told me it was a sign "the ram slots were breaking".

They're a helpful bunch.

CanadaRAM

macrumors G5
conditionals said:
A few months ago, one of my powerbook ram slots just disappeared. I had 1.25 and then I had 1... with no warning. Took out the 256 and it was in perfect working order... the slot just died.

They're a helpful bunch.
There is an extended warranty / recall in effect for certain serial numbers of Powerbooks where Apple will replace the motherboard even if out of warranty.

andiwm2003

macrumors 601
Original poster
Mar 29, 2004
Boston, MA
conditionals said:

They're a helpful bunch.

i have the same situation. the upper ram slot died. the genius swapped the 1gb in the working slot and i send the book in for repair when i'm in canada. i can't use the mac there and it will take two weeks to replace the logic board.

everything is covered under apple care.

any chance that they run out of old 1.5ghz logic boards and the have to upgrade me?:D

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.