1gb or 2gb of ram for iMac G5

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by Estic, Sep 13, 2004.

1. Estic macrumors member

I ordered my iMac G5 on aug. 31 with 256mb ram and plan to have 2gb or 1gb when it arrives. The system is going to used mainly for about 4500 pictures (and growing) in iphoto and photoshop editing of raw files. Should I just stick to 2gb of ram or I'm I throwing away my money? Will I see a difference between having 1gb vs 2gb of ram? This will be the most ram I have ever had in one system and want to make sure I'm doing the right thing.

Thanks
    estic

2. NusuniAdmin macrumors 6502a

NusuniAdmin

although 1 GB of ram might be sufficient for your needs you might still have some low memory problems. Id just go for 2.

3. grapes911 Moderator emeritus

grapes911

1 gig is usually more than enough if you are doing images and no video. But having said that, it can never hurt to have more ram.

4. kerb macrumors regular

my rule of thumb with RAM in is

put in as much as you can afford

especially true with OSX, G5 processors and the FX5200 graphics card

all take nice big chunks of RAM if it's there to optimise themselves.

5. Sun Baked macrumors G5

Sun Baked

Considering...
    ...putting in a matching pair of DIMMs will boost memory bandwidth.

So there are other factors to consider on the iMac G5 besides, more is better.

6. spaceballl macrumors 68030

spaceballl

I wouldn't put 2gb in yet. Put 1gb in, but make sure to just use one dimm so that you have room for expansion. The iMac comes standard w/ a 7200 rpm harddrive. That combined w/ a gig of RAM will make your pics load plenty snappy. Granted, they won't load too quickly cuz iPhoto sucks at being fast AT ALL. Get iView Media if you want fast loading. But if you have the cash, might as well get 2.
    -Kevin