1GB or 2GB

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by Fafnir06, Nov 25, 2006.

1. Fafnir06 macrumors newbie

Howdie y'all,

I'm but a humble potential initiate into MacUniverse (having had my Dell laptop accidentally run over by a passing car :eek: ), and I'm trying to decide whether I want to pay the extra 112 pounds to upgrade my soon to be purchased white macbook to 2GB RAM. I'm not a gamer (any more, sniff sniff), and I will need it mostly for project managing, writing, and sound editing (I work for radio). The catch is that I might be doing video editing pretty soon, which is why I begin to wonder whether I should put out some extra cash to ensure it all runs smoothly... what do you think?

Much thanks,
    Fafnir

2. psycoswimmer macrumors 65816

psycoswimmer

I'd say 2 GB for the video editing, but the other stuff should be fine with 1GB.

I don't have a macbook, but are you sure that the video editing will run smooth with the MB's integrated graphics?

3. Steven1621 macrumors 6502a

Steven1621

I was skeptical about the benefits of 2 GB of RAM, but after using it for awhile, I'd definitely recommend it. OS X will make use of it.

You might want to buy it from a third party reseller, however. It will save you quite a bit.

4. MatthewCobb macrumors regular

2MB. Defo. It's a way of future-proofing your Mac. Everything will be better.

5. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

Apple's RAM prices have improved recently, as the Macbook comes with 2x512MB sticks, you will need to replace all of it for third party RAM, you really aren't going to get 2x1GB of RAM for less than £112, so upgrade with Apple.

6. FFTT macrumors 68030

FFTT

Yup, the magic word is sound editing in any professional application.

The most important thing you can add to any Mac is RAM.

The thing is, if you buy your machine with a pair of 512MB DIMMS and later decide to upgrade to 2 GB, you'll end up just keeping the original DIMMS
    for storage in case your machine ever needs to go in for repairs.

You can ask the store to configure your system with just one single 1 GB DIMM for starters, then add another 1 GB DIMM as soon as the funds are
    available. you won't really be making efficient use of your machine's memory architecture, but this would be my alternate choice.

When you consider shipping costs, VAT etc. buying additional 3rd party RAM
    there's really not a huge difference in the price that Apple charges for the
    2 GB upgrade at the present time.

7. Fafnir06 thread starter macrumors newbie

Ram

Great, thanks, everyone, this really is a lot of help :D . Another slightly dumb question - it seems awfully rough to pay 120 pounds to enlarge my HD by 40 extra gigs (the same money can get me a portable 120GB HD even on Amazon). How much space does sound and / or video editing take up in process on Macs? I've no intention to store these files on the HD anyway, that's what DVDs are for... so... 80GB or 120GB?
    Thanks again,
    Fafnir

8. CanadaRAM macrumors G5

CanadaRAM

With the money, get an external 3.5" Firewire case like a MacAlly aluminium model, and a 250 - 320 Gb IDE 7200 RPM hard drive. You'll get more storage, have a bootable backup, faster performance, and greater reliability.

Move seldom-used files from the internal 80 to the Firewire drive to make room for travelling. Ask yourself - how often do you have to do video capture and editing when away from AC power? Likely, the answer is seldom or never, so go with a AC-powered 3.5" drive in preference to a 2.5" buss powered external drive.

9. savanahrose macrumors 6502a

savanahrose

Did you by any chance run over your dell so that you can get a mac? hmm...;)
    gl with your mac. recent new mac owner myself. still messing with it and reading a book called switching to the mac from David Pogue and Adam Goldstein. So far it has been helpful. gl

10. MSM Hobbes macrumors 6502

Another vote for getting the extra RAM upfront [me, I got mine BTO from Apple - saved hassle, and cost was not that really higher than otherwise], and as to the HD size, that was not worth the cost from Apple - an external HD as mentioned is the route I've gone too.

11. Fafnir06 thread starter macrumors newbie

Accidents

The strap of my bag broke and the poor creature just slid under the wheels of a passing car... so maybe only subconciously so. Fact of the matter is, I'm struggling desperately against the idiotic UK restrictions on installments at the moment (you must be 24 (i'm 23) and a resident of the UK for at least 4 years (just 2 for me). It was a really bad timing all in all - but what a spectacular way to go! :cool:

12. kjr39 macrumors 6502

13. ero87 macrumors 65816

ero87

here's another vote for letting apple install it- most of the major mac problems are caused by faulty 3rd party RAM.

14. emotion macrumors 68040

emotion

I've just ordered a macbook and despite the fact I want 2GB I ordered it stock (1GB/120GB, black). The reason being is, if I get any hardware trouble (which is not that unlikely) I can take the thing back to a store and just pick up another. With a BTO you can't do that (as easily).

Memory prices are quite high at the moment. I'm betting that two 1GB sticks will be around 120 quid (160 currently) in a month or two.

As for HD. The macbook has the major feature of having a user replacable HD. 7200rpm 160GB Seagate Momentus drives are just around the corner (for audio, which is what I use the machine for, and video this will be a very nice drive). When they are released I'll put the 120GB in a portable caddy (which are hard to get for 2.5" SATA currently anyway) and then I'll have a 5400rpm external bus powered drive too.

15. grum macrumors regular

Got any links about that Seagate please?

16. mr_matalino macrumors 6502a

mr_matalino

Usually its smart to get as much RAM as you can afford!

17. emotion macrumors 68040

emotion

18. grum macrumors regular

thanks - sorry what does H1 mean? That sounds ideal - I am going to be using my new macbook for audio recording and ableton live. I was about to get a 5400 RPM 160 gig drive but maybe I will stick with the stock drive for now.

I also found this:

Hitachi has unveiled its laptop-use hard drive product strategy for 2007, announcing 200GB 2.5-inch TravelStar spinning at 7200rpm and a 250GB 5400rpm unit. Two Travelstars will become available in the first and second half of 2007, respectively.

http://laptoping.com/hitachi-travelstar-250gb-200gb-7200.html

19. emotion macrumors 68040

emotion

H1= 1st half.

I use Ableton Live too (in fact it's the main reason I have a laptop).

Even more reason to wait. That's great news. That 200GB 7200rpm drive sounds like just what I want.

20. backsidetailsli macrumors 65816

backsidetailsli

definetly 2 gigs, i wish i did that right away

21. CanadaRAM macrumors G5

CanadaRAM

Errr... you know that Apple doesn't manufacture RAM but uses "third party" RAM (Samsung, Hynix, Micron, Elpida) RAM in their machines exactly the same modules in many cases as third party resellers do?
    And you have approximately an equal chance of a failed RAM module from Apple as a reputable reseller?

22. Fafnir06 thread starter macrumors newbie

I got it, I got it!!

finally, after months and months of deliberation, I got meself meown all-so-shiny... 2GHZ white MacBook. Which is not a 2,000" self-elevating cooks-your-breakfast-while-giving-your-dog-a-foot-massage MBP's, I know, but it still suits my needs :cool: 1GB RAM... I needed to buy it urgently, and 1 extra GB costs 240 pounds in the shop instead of 112 online! :eek: so there it is.. mild, but pretty :rolleyes:

23. breakfastcrew macrumors 6502

I have 2 gb but I rarely use beyond 1 gb It usually ranges around 500ish and 800ish. And that is like surfing the web using neo office listening to itunes and downloading something.

24. FFTT macrumors 68030

FFTT

A new Mac can give you a long lasting case of the grins! :D

Only with a bit more dignity than Smiling Bob

[​IMG]

25. phungy macrumors 68020

phungy