1GB Powerbook sticks $119 at outpost

Discussion in 'Macintosh Computers' started by gost8go, Apr 13, 2005.

1. gost8go macrumors member

http://shop2.outpost.com/product/4389075?site=sr:SEARCH:MAIN_RSLT_PG

This is Kingston "ValueRAM". I haven't used it before. Is it the same as the reputable Kingston? I ordered a 1GB stick for my 17" Albook. Hopefully it works. I have tried no-name cheap RAM before and it knocked out my airport, had to return the stick.

Forgot to add: Rebate offer ends 4/14/05.

$139.99 - $20.00 Rebate
    DDR 1GB PC2700 SO-D KING
    SO-DIMM:
    Outpost #:*4389075
    Kingston 1GB PC2700 SO-DIMM for Notebooks/Laptops. Standard 128M X 64 Non-ECC 333MHz 200-pin Unbuffered SODIMM (SDRAM-DDR, 2.5V, CL2.5, Gold)

2. GeorgeTheMonkey macrumors member

Could you let us know how it is when it arrives? I'm doubting it will in time for any of us to make use of the $20 rebate, but still, $140 for a 1gb stick is not bad.

I just don't want it plaguing my precious 17" PowerBook like the Black Death or something like that.

3. gost8go thread starter macrumors member

Well I popped in the stick on Friday and am putting it through its paces. So far, so good. I'm using Activity Monitor and it's amazing how much ram osx will use...all 2GB with just toast burning a cd, bittorrent and safari open.

I will report back if anything weird happens this week...then I'm sending in the rebate.

4. gost8go thread starter macrumors member

UPDATE:
    Had some concerning hiccups today...the same airport dropout situation.

The scenario:

1. Running bittorrent 3.4.2 with multiple torrents open.
    2. Activty Monitor shows 2GB system memory being gobbled up, until it's basically gone 1.67 GB inactive memory.
    3. PB goes to sleep (while still torrenting) I hear the external drive spin down, when the screen powers back up NO AIRPORT!
    4. I have to restart to get airport back.

Anyone know the diagnosis? I may have to send the stick back, although the problem is more intermittent then when I had tried a totally generic stick a while ago.

5. Lost airport while writing this post! Had to restart to finish. :mad:

5. CanadaRAM macrumors G5

CanadaRAM

For the umpteenth time:
    Kingston ValueRAM is Kingston's generic model line. Kingston *specifically* does not guarantee it for use in Macintoshes. The only Kingston memory guaranteed in Macs is their KTA- model line.

Outpost of course makes no claim that these are Mac compatible.

Buy your RAM from a reputable dealer who tests and guarantees compatibility with your model Macintosh.

Any money you save on generic, has a good chance of being lost by your time and trouble and shipping charges to return the RAM (not to mention lost or corrupted data)

6. gost8go thread starter macrumors member

That's funny, I've done plenty of searches and this is the first I've heard of it. Guess I'm blind.

My next move is to buy Samsung RAM, 1GB $209.99

http://eshop.macsales.com/item/Samsung/27SAMSO1GB/

Do I dare?

:p

7. ricebag macrumors member

I use it

I use it and it's been fine for months. I guess it might be a case-by-case thing

8. CanadaRAM macrumors G5

CanadaRAM

9. gost8go thread starter macrumors member

Thanks for the tip. I bought a stick. It was only $3 cheaper after shipping but hey, why would I pay $3 more? I'm already paying >$80 than generic. :rolleyes:

10. gost8go thread starter macrumors member

OK geniuses,

I took the reco and bought DM50 155 1GB 200 Pin DDR PC2700 333Mhz 128x64 CL 2.5 SODIMM All Mac & PC's (Samsung Original). This is supposedly the same ram that apple installs. It seems to match the 1GB stick apple factory intstalled in my pb 17".

The same exact problem is occuring...Loss of airport when running bittorrent. BT sucks up all the ram and then *poof* bye bye airport.

I = :mad:

What now, buy from apple for $$$$!$!$!?