1GB RAM DIMMs in dual 867 MDD?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by dabirdwell, Oct 6, 2003.

1. dabirdwell macrumors 6502

OK, I bought what I thought would work in my PowerMac. A high density 1GB DIMM from a reputable EBay dealer. Well, the chip i got said PC2700 and I know that the PM is running PC2100, but I thought they could throttle down to system speed. So with both installed, it addresses the original PC2100 512 chip, and recognizes the other in System Profiler, but not as any speed RAM, just as "DDR".

In any case it doesn't work.

Well the sales people told me that Macs don't run 1GB chips, and don't accept high density chips either. They say it is "PC" RAM, is this right? How can i tell?

2. dabirdwell thread starter macrumors 6502

I need to find out if I wasted my money, anyone?

3. Lanbrown macrumors 6502a

Some of the newer memory does not "throttle down" and will only run at its native speed. If you want memory, buy memory from a respected company that guarantees compatibility. They actually take the time to verify that it meets the OEM specifications. Kingston and Crucial are two that come to mind, there are others as well. When you buy generic memory, you run the risk of having the experience that you now have, incompatibility. Memory is not memory.

4. robbieduncan Moderator emeritus

robbieduncan

5. idevin macrumors newbie

I have heard that the PowerMac MDD 867 (Which I have) can support 1 Gid DIMMs, but still can only address 2Gb of RAM.

6. Lanbrown macrumors 6502a

Typically, the manufacturer says what the system can support with the current memory available. Apple says the 1GHz iMac can support 1GB total, but some companies sell a 1GB module for the user accessible slot.