1GB RAM for G4 iBook?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by phrancpharmD, Feb 17, 2004.

1. phrancpharmD macrumors regular

So, I successfully sold my G3 iBook and I've bought the 933MHz G4 iBook and I am thrilled with it so far. I didn't buy extra RAM from Apple, and while shopping online for extra, I came across this page. So, my question is, does anybody know if 1GB RAM will "work" in a G4 iBook? I realize that the maximum officially supported is 640MB, but I'm quite curious to hear whether anyone's put more than that in a G4 iBook and whether some sort of firmware hack was necessary or whether it was recognized and just "worked." . .

2. crazzyeddie macrumors 68030

crazzyeddie

It works... just "works"... although its very expensive.

3. abhishekit macrumors 65816

abhishekit

4. phrancpharmD thread starter macrumors regular

Yes, expensive indeed. But if the full 1152MB is recognized it might just be worth it, especially with that being the last "upgrade" I'll do for quite a while. At least it should sure beat the pants off of the 256MB I have installed now.

Thanks for the link; $50 is $50, but I haven't heard of those guys before. It appears that through Mac Solutions you can get "genuine" Apple RAM for the extra $50. . .

5. KC9AIC macrumors 6502

KC9AIC

I have a hard time believing "genuine" Apple RAM when Apple doesn't manufacture its own RAM... Still, I personally would want to spend 50 more if it got me memory that would work, as if the cheaper RAM trashes a computer, it's more expensive than the extra $50.

6. phrancpharmD thread starter macrumors regular

Hence the quotation marks around GENUINE :)

I guess the page actually says "Samsung original Apple RAM." . .

I agree about the extra $50 more likely ensuring compatability, but has anybody actually DONE this?

7. Capt Underpants macrumors 68030

Capt Underpants

You should also check out Crucial.com. They usually have good prices on RAM. I don't know what the other venders already listed cost (I'm too lazy:D ), but many have had good experiences with crucial.

8. abhishekit macrumors 65816

abhishekit

transintl are pretty genuine guys. They had this 1 gb ram chip out as early as in december. And at that time i enquired on this forum, i got 2-3 guys who said they had bought ram from them and are happy.
    So do make some enquiries
    Cheers

9. Naimfan macrumors 68040

Naimfan

Transintl

Hi.

Read the bits about Transintl RAM and thought I'd put in my favorable .02. I bought two 512 meg RAM chips from them for my Pismo and have had zero trouble with the chips. They were fine to deal with.

I do understand OSX is sensitive when it comes to RAM, but I'm now running Panther and haven't had any problems wrt to the RAM.

Best,

Bob

10. phrancpharmD thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks for the suggestion, but actually, I started by looking at Crucial. They have a GREAT price on the 512MB iBook G4 RAM upgrade that I was thinking of going with until my comparison shopping at macsolutions.com turned up the 1024MB iBook RAM upgrade. Interestingly (or maybe not, I am pretty easily amused), Crucial's "Memory Advisory Report" for G4 iBooks does NOT include a 1GB RAM upgrade, and specifically states under "System Info" that maximum memory is 640MB. So, crazzyeddie's earlier post leads me to believe that the additional 1024MB will be recognized as such. Anybody else know this to be true from personal experience?

11. Capt Underpants macrumors 68030

Capt Underpants

Obviosuly, I havent had any experience with the 1024 MB RAM in the iBook G4, but I have a feeling that crucial gets its specs from Apple. If Apple doesn't officially support it, Crucial probably wont say that is is supported. That doesnt mean that the laptop won't recognize it, just that the manufacturer doesn't recognize its memory capabilities.

Also, be sure that you get the 200-pin so-dimm. Some get in a hurry and buy a regular sized dimm.

12. raynegus macrumors regular

I wouldn't do it in my opinion. Stay safe and within the Apple specs. Ge a 512 from crucial for $94 shipped and be happy.

13. ratspg macrumors regular

crucial is great, quality , lasts fine... just as 'genuine' as u want it to be :)