1GB RAM for Imac Core Duo

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by jennysbelly, Jan 31, 2006.

1. jennysbelly macrumors member

Hello all . .. I've had my new iMac for a few weeks now, and now that I paid off my credit card for the computer, its time to upgrade the RAM.

Where is an affordable, reliable source for 1GB stick for the intel iMac? Aso I am new to this, what is a good price for this?

Thanks,
    Jenny

2. Josh396 macrumors 65816

Josh396

Datamem usually is pretty good for their prices on RAM. I haven't really seen any prices lower than that but I'm sure someone on these boards will have something a little lower.

3. gunm macrumors member

I got mine from macsales.com. Reliable, reasonable price, shipping discounts, and quick turnaround.

4. jennysbelly thread starter macrumors member

What shipping method did you use if you don't mind me asking?

5. powerbook911 macrumors 68040

powerbook911

I wasn't the original poster, but I also ordered from OWC (Macsales). I chose 2 -day UPS shipping, for it seemed like the best value. It shipped same day, and I had it two days later. :)

I was going to go with Datamem, but when I phoned to ask about availability it sounded like I woke them up. They get good feedback though.

6. Zman5225 macrumors 6502a

I'll second using datamem, great service, quick shipping, better prices then crucial.

7. Artful Dodger macrumors 68020

Artful Dodger

Funny that's how the guy sounded when I phoned it in last week ;)
    Got it through UPS next day, very happy with the RAM.

8. ontheuptick macrumors member

OWC was fabulous for me. Great service, cheap next day shipping.

9. twoodcc macrumors P6

twoodcc

i've used datamem before as well. i was pleased. i also went to fry's (www.outpost.com) and they had one in stock for $99 last time i was there. too bad there wasn't 2 of them

10. FadeToBlack macrumors 68000

FadeToBlack

I'll second that. OWC has been great. I ordered RAM from them for my eMac and it worked great. I also ordered a Pioneer SuperDrive for my Power Mac from them and it's been great, as well. Whenever I upgrade the RAM in my Power Mac, it will be from OWC.

11. Dave00 macrumors 6502a

For my iMac G5, I've used 1-800-4Memory, no problems, and much cheaper.

Dave

12. mongoos150 macrumors 6502a

mongoos150

I really would like to see someone *somehow* test the dual channel memory topic, whether using two identicle sticks of memory helps the computer's performance in an obvious way; and whether using unmatched sticks of memory hinder the memory's processing in any way...

13. jennysbelly thread starter macrumors member

I am curious about this as well. My intel iMac has the stock 512MB in it, and I had planned to purchase a 1GB stick to bring it to 1.5, and possibly at a later date get another 1GB stick since there are other things I'd like to buy as well. Is this a mistake . . .should I get 2 1GB sticks now?

14. tivoboy macrumors 68030

owc

owc is cheaper than datamem.

would rather take the corsair memory personally.

15. jennysbelly thread starter macrumors member

Is 1.5GB enough . . .

I am a new Mac user with an Intel Imac. I will be having to purchase CS2 as I am taking courses in the apps . . .not heavy use. I can easily afford 1GB of ram to add to the 512MB chip that it has, but will it make a large difference if I purchase 2GB?

Also, would it make a difference if I purchased 1GB now, and a second 1GB stick down the road?

16. mongoos150 macrumors 6502a

mongoos150

The step from .5GB to 1.5GB is enormous. The step from 1.5 to 2GB is not very noticable...pretty much for rendering simultaneous video streams; it's definitely not neccessary.

I wish someone had an answer to my original dual channel question. I know it can help in a minimal way...but I haven't heard a solid, dictionary definition.

17. majorp macrumors 6502

i think there's a lot of people sitting back and waiting for the answer too. i know i certainly am. i just sold my 1gb Apple stick so i could get a matched pair of crucial just in case. you should have no problem selling the appl 1gb as it retails for £210 !!

18. CanadaRAM macrumors G5

CanadaRAM

Apple has stated the machines will utilize Dual Channel memory access with matched pairs on the Core Duo machines. Don't know benchmarks (yet), but I would guess it to be about 10% improvement on memory intensive tasks and 0% on CPU intensive, HD intensive and Garphic card intensive tasks.

However, 1.5 Gb real RAM unmatched trumps 1.0 Gb real RAM matched pair, because of the additional 512 Mb space.

BTW: Shoulda held onto the Apple 1 Gb until you has installed a second 1 Gb -- they might have matched....

BTW. I don't like Corsair for Macs -- their CMX and TwinX RAM is not guaranteed Mac compatible, and their CMS- System Select RAM whic they do rate as Mac compatible is very average generic pieces with cheap PC boards.

Thanks
    Trevor
    CanadaRAM.com

19. mongoos150 macrumors 6502a

mongoos150

Thanks Trevor - sounds like a 1GB stick and a .5GB stock stick will do just great.

20. jsw Moderator emeritus

jsw

Not if they had the same specs.

But I agree with the others above - 1.5GB is a huge improvement from 512MB, and odds are that 2GB won't show much improvement for you.

I do development on mine, and I'm going from 1.5GB to 2GB only because I seem to be hitting the point where I could use the extra 0.5GB of real memory. However, I think that 1.5GB will likely be just fine for you.

21. majorp macrumors 6502

is there anyway to test to see if it is actually running in Dual Channel mode?

22. ieani macrumors 6502a

ieani

does upgrading memory yourself void the warranty?

23. nutmac macrumors 68030

24. jsw Moderator emeritus

jsw

No. But any damage you do wouldn't be covered, of course.

25. iRobie macrumors newbie

You can find Kingston 1GB chip for $125 on OnSale.com. Here is the direct link:
    http://www.onsale.com/onsale/shop/detail~dpno~768718.asp

Or, you can find this using the Shop feature of MacRumors. Just search for "pc2 5300 sodimm" It's listed as the Kingston Made for Imac, or something like that.