1gb ram?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by johng723, Jul 9, 2004.

1. johng723 macrumors member

Hi so I was thinking about buying an extra 1 gig of ram from crucial or some other online site but I've heard about people who have more than 1 gig of ram in their powerbooks having problems. I already ahve 512mb in my powerbook. What problems are there with having more than 1 gig of ram?

2. jdogg707 macrumors regular

I just upgraded my Powerbook to 1GB of RAM and so far the experience has been quite nice. My apps seem a little more responsive, especially when I have a lot going on at once. For the four hours I have had the 1GB installed it has given me no trouble. If you want to save some cash, try a pair of these for $85.00 a pop. I installed them in my system and know a few others who put them in theirs without any issues. It is good memory, has free FedEx Express shipping, and Newegg is one of the best stores on the web!

3. crazzyeddie macrumors 68030

crazzyeddie

The only recent problems with 1GB+ in Powerbooks was related to Airport, which has since been corrected with Airport updates. You are clear to upgrade to 1GB+ and make your computer experience faster :D

4. FuzzyBallz macrumors 6502a

FuzzyBallz

Which PB revision do you have? The current ones can take up to 2GB, but that's pointless and waste of money. You'll do fine w/ another 512MB for a total of 1GB.

5. stoid macrumors 601

stoid

I have tried the $85 512MB chips in my 1.25Ghz 15" Aluminum PowerBook. I first ordered two. One didn't work, I sent it back for a replacement. The replacement didn't work. I now have 768MB of RAM and don't plan to spend anymore money shipping faulty RAM back to newegg (standard procedure with faulty RAM). Of note though, I was impressed by newegg's high level of customer service and give them highest marks in terms of recommending them to buy from.

6. jdogg707 macrumors regular

Wow, their must have been some kind of incompatibility, because four of my friends and now myself have all used this RAM without issue. Of course, we are all using Rev. C Powerbooks.

7. BornAgainMac macrumors 603

BornAgainMac

There is a huge markup between the 512's and 1GB. 1GBs are between 4 to 5 times more expensive. I agree that two 512's is the way to go even though you would have some bragging rights with 2 GBs on your PB. I am not sure what performance gains you would get between 1 GB and 2 GB without seeing some benchmarks.

8. Rod Rod macrumors 68020

Rod Rod

the difference is closer to 3 times as much, or, MB for MB, 1GB sticks cost about 50% more than 512s.

check ramseeker.com to see the side-by-side comparisons for yourself. I ordered from one of the featured vendors (18004memory) and I got a 1GB nanya-brand PC2700 sodimm for $289.

9. johng723 thread starter macrumors member

I believe i have rev c? the newest one? so will there really not that big of a difference if i have 1.5gb of ram or 1gb? 512mb ram does save me a bit of money

10. musicpyrite macrumors 68000

musicpyrite

You should have a rev c PowerBook if you bought it new in the last couple of weeks. (or if it had an AirPort card _already_ installed)

And the difference between 1 GB and 1.5 GB of RAM is low, just buy another 512 stick and spend your money on something else...like a bluetooth mouse. ;) :D :) :eek: :p :confused: :eek: :rolleyes: :cool: :(