??? 1Gb RAM???

Discussion in 'General Mac Discussion' started by brantdarilek, Jul 24, 2002.

1. brantdarilek macrumors newbie

2. AlphaTech macrumors 601

AlphaTech

Apple is calling for up to 512MB memory modules inside their systems. I would really suggest waiting until Apple comes out with a firmware that support memory modules larger then 512MB (if that happens).

Does crucial list your system as one that will accept that memory???

At this point, I'd really suggest NOT waisting your money, and just load up on 512MB modules. Just because something is out there, doesn't mean you should get it, or that it will work in your system.

3. brantdarilek thread starter macrumors newbie

No its not listed under the PMG4, I just came across it and was wondering if it would work.

I'm maxed out now, but it sure would be great to have 3GB of RAM.

4. AlphaTech macrumors 601

AlphaTech

The current systems will not accept anything larger then 512MB modules. What the **** are you doing where you would even come close to needing 1GB of RAM???

Then again, I didn't really NEED to install the two 160GB hard drives inside the game pc... and set them up on a ATA RAID card (RAID 0) creating a 320GB drive.

5. King Cobra macrumors 603

>3GB of RAM.
    It may be great to have it, but...

If it turns out you need 3GB, you will probably give new meaning to the expression "No time on your hands". Plus, you will become a supergeek. :p :cool:

6. brantdarilek thread starter macrumors newbie

Desktop Publishing/Illustration

With Photoshop, Illustrator and Indesign open 24/7 and working on 500mb files the more RAM the merrier.

7. AlphaTech macrumors 601

AlphaTech

Another saying comes to mind as well... "more money than brains" :eek: :eek: :D

Lots or RAM does not a supergeek make... ;)

8. King Cobra macrumors 603

>Lots or RAM does not a supergeek make... ;)

Think again, my fine heavy boot-wearing friend on two wheels. :p

How many applications would you have to have open to use 3GB of RAM? If you are using all those applications at once, then you must know a lot of **** about them. That makes you a geek.

However, it makes you look more like a supergeek, since you are doing so many things at once... :p :D

9. AlphaTech macrumors 601

AlphaTech

Nay Queen Cobra... Just becuase you have many applications running at one time doesn't mean all that much. We have people at work that run lots at one time, PS, Illustrator, Quark, Outlook, IE, Netscrape, Acrobat (full) and more. Are they geeks?? **** no, they are just users. Who do they call whenerver their system has a hiccup?? The Über-Geek (that's me :p). When I am not there, they call the semi-geek (my co-worker). :eek:

10. Mr. Anderson Moderator emeritus

Mr. Anderson

Even with a couple apps open and 1 500MB+ file in photoshop and I'd want more RAM - its not fun waiting, waiting, waiting for updates - and applying a filter? HA! I understand completely.

The new towers, if they manage 4 MB max, will be sweet. I would end up maxing it out, that's for sure. I've got a couple animation scenes with obscene polygon counts that crush the system when it comes time to render.

D

11. King Cobra macrumors 603

I wonder if those applications take up 1GB of RAM. Even if they do, you still have to have lots of other big applications to take up 3GB of RAM. And it would take LOTS of applications for that. If someone uses ALL the applications for 3GB of RAM consistantly for their own use (let me specify now) then they are either constantly busy, or have little time on their hands. If they know how to work these apps and like to be busy, I think they qualify as geeks.

Besides, you said it yourself... Über-Geek. And you only go up to 1.5GB RAM.

12. brantdarilek thread starter macrumors newbie

No, in PS 7 you allocate RAM by percentage. So you can allocate all of the RAM to just one program.

13. Mr. Anderson Moderator emeritus

Mr. Anderson

If I open photoshop, lightwave modeler, lightwave (animation/scene app) - they are two separate programs - lightwave hub (transfers data between the apps), illustrator (sometimes), quicktime, itunes - on a big enough project I could easily get over 1.5 gig of memory. I haven't opened all those at the same time currently, because it would just be slower and work one app at a time for performance. But its more productive to jump to photoshop to work on a texturemap then open it in modeler, etc....

D

14. King Cobra macrumors 603

All right. I think you guys are missing my point. I mean, you have excellent points, but I meant if you had like 15 or 20 aplications open at once and you were busy creating some fancy little thing for yourself using a lot of them. I mean, you wouldn't be a geek under those situations (with some exceptions) but I think you would with a whole deal of apps open in constant use.

15. sparkleytone macrumors 68020

sparkleytone

actually OS X will recognize and write to 1GB DIMMS. I don't remember who, but someone on these boards actually uses them and has 3GB of RAM. I was talking to him in the IRC room the other day. Basically OS X recognizes a ridiculous amount of RAM, and the Apple MoBo can indeed take it. And I for one would LOVE to have 3GB of RAM. I don't care what anyone says, you can't ever have enough RAM, especially with an OS like OS X.:cool:

16. brantdarilek thread starter macrumors newbie

Just posted a thread at the apple discussion forum.

Hopefully someone will have the final answer over there.

17. Beej macrumors 68020

Beej

That may be the case, but talking like that qualifies you for instant membership! :p

18. sparkleytone macrumors 68020

sparkleytone