Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

VoodooDaddy

macrumors 65816
Original poster
May 14, 2003
I thought the shuffle would keep the songs in the exact order that I added them but its not.

I added 1 whole cd by 1 artist, then I added 1 song by the same artist but from a different album. That one song went straight to the top of the play list. Then I added another cd by a different artist and that cd went inbetween the single song and the other cd.

I tried dragging the songs around in the order I want but that doesnt work. Is there any way to do this? I want them to play in a particular order and I dont get why its moving them out of the order that Im adding them.

pianoman

macrumors 68000
May 31, 2006
sounds like when you add them, it is sorting them alphabetically by name, artist, or album. check the settings in iTunes to make sure the Shuffle playlist is set to sort by number so that when you add a new song, it falls to the bottom of the list.

VoodooDaddy

macrumors 65816
Original poster
May 14, 2003
Did you try the non-shuffle mode? I think it's the middle setting on the slider.

Well Im talking about when I add them, before I play them its re-arranging the order I add. And yes, I did even play it in non-shuffle mode and it plays as is displayed on the screen, out of order based on how I added them.

VoodooDaddy

macrumors 65816
Original poster
May 14, 2003
sounds like when you add them, it is sorting them alphabetically by name, artist, or album. check the settings in iTunes to make sure the Shuffle playlist is set to sort by number so that when you add a new song, it falls to the bottom of the list.

How do I do this?

VoodooDaddy

macrumors 65816
Original poster
May 14, 2003
I sorted it by "date added" but that is only sorting the songs by the date they were added to my itunes library, not by time they were added to the shuffle.

I want then to play in the exact order I added them to the shuffle, and I thought that is how it worked.

VoodooDaddy

macrumors 65816
Original poster
May 14, 2003
Sorry, I know Im replying to my own thread several times in a row but...

Ok, in Party Shuffle you can re-order the songs by dragging them around. Can you not so this in any other playlist? Doesnt seem like you can.

VoodooDaddy

macrumors 65816
Original poster
May 14, 2003
I got it. Im dumb. I was ticking the dated added or track # sort, not the arrow on the far left that sorts in order of added.

pianoman

macrumors 68000
May 31, 2006
I got it. Im dumb. I was ticking the dated added or track # sort, not the arrow on the far left that sorts in order of added.

that's what i meant by "sort by number." glad you figured it out :) even if it did take 6 posts :eek:

VoodooDaddy

macrumors 65816
Original poster
May 14, 2003
that's what i meant by "sort by number." glad you figured it out :) even if it did take 6 posts :eek:

haha

Ya, I wasnt quite sure what you meant by "sort by numbers." I never even noticed that up/down arrow there until I clicked on it.

And I do have a way of troubleshooting my own problems. NOt the first time Ive posted for help somewhere and before someone gives me the answer I need I figured it out on my own (even though you did tell me what to do, I just didnt know how)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.