1ghz ibook vs. 867 mhz powerbook???

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by mulletman13, Jul 4, 2004.

1. mulletman13 macrumors 6502a

mulletman13

I know there have been a TON of threads on powerbook/ibook comparisons... but I haven't seen any about this specific powerbook model.

Anyways, I'm currently looking at the 1ghz ibook refurbished from Apple's site.... and the 867 mhz powerbook refurbished from Apple's site-- I know the ibook would be the better value, but are these products both similarly performing? I would like to know if there is not a noticeable difference, than I'd go with the PB.... I like how that has more room for extra RAM. Also, how do these two video cards compare?

I guess I'm looking for staying power for a few years, and which one would hold it's value longer. Apple computers have very good value on ebay, and it seems ibooks retain their value longer than ibooks.

Thanks for the advice~

PS: Would the 867 powerbook perform like the G4 1ghz ibook, or the g4 800 mhz ibook?

2. bousozoku Moderator emeritus

I would not recommend the 867 MHz model at all. It is extra warm and has very limited RAM capacity.

A brand new iBook, refurb or not, would be a better choice.

3. PlaceofDis macrumors Core

well there is a 133mhz difference between the processers. Obviously the iBooks has more megahertz than the powerbook. But i have that powerbook and am using it as we speak. What do you plan on using you laptop for? that is a huge point. do you want bluetooth? because if i am correct i think it only comes built on the powerbook, i dont think the iBook has it. ive had no issues with my book which i have had for a year so i know its a great machine. but like i said it all depends on what you are going to use it for

4. mulletman13 thread starter macrumors 6502a

mulletman13

Well I know i'm not going to really do any processor heavy tasks on it.... light photoshop and illustrator at most, a little video editing. In fact I know that I won't utilize all the processor power that any of these come with-- I'm just concerned about staying power... and I guess I'm a whore for the aluminum case :(

I'm just thinking that in about two years when I'm halfway through school, if I would get more cash for the powerbook 867, or the 1 ghz ibook-- I suppose that's the main question. Or would anyone reccommend saving up for a refurbed 1 ghz... or even a 1.33? The thing is that I start school this September, and I want to get rid of this 900mhz g3 ibook looking for slot loading drive and just... newer model. So it really isn't about performance (video performance maybe, I may run warcraft 3 or halo if at all possible), but staying power, how much I'd get for a 867 vs. a 1 ghz down the road.

Thanks again for the advice~

5. OziMac macrumors 6502

867MHz Powerbook (assuming it's Rev A 12", right?) only has 256k L2 cache, whilst the 1GHz iBook (the new 12") has 512k L2 cache like the Rev B and Rev C Powerbooks. This makes an enormous performance difference, in addition to the extra processor speed.

Performance-wise, the iBook is the winner by far. Of course, there may be other issues, like aesthetics, but to each their own - I would definitely get the iBook given your choice.

[EDIT] They're both not really very high end machines even at this point in time, so I wouldn't be too optimistic about resale value to be perfectly honest. I don't really think there's all that much differentiation, but given the superior performance of the iBook, you'd think it would probably fetch a greater sum down the road.

6. PlaceofDis macrumors Core

the iBooks is probably the better choice for you. They are more durable and it will probably last longer for you and since it has more power might fetch a little bit more money later on, but its hard to tell what will get more. Sure the Powerbook looks nice ect, but the ibook it seems would suit you a little better

7. Rocksaurus macrumors 6502a

Rocksaurus

Meh

You've already got a 900 iBook and you want to get one of these two? The upgrade won't be THAT noticeable, I'm a tightwad, so my advice doesn't hold a lot of water, but I'd hold on to my money and my current laptop. :eek:

8. JFreak macrumors 68040

JFreak

if it's a titanium powerbook that has the L3 cache, it will probably outperform the ibook when you really stress the cpu. but when the cpu load is light, the ibook will likely win. if it's an albook, it will likely lose to the ibook no matter how you test it.

powerbook looks nicer :)