1GHz or 1.25?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by erinrb, Nov 12, 2003.

1. erinrb macrumors newbie

I'm planning to buy a 15.2" PowerBook. At Macmall, there's a $500 difference between the 1GHz and 1.25GHz. How much affect does that little 0.25 have?

2. Powerbook G5 macrumors 68040

Powerbook G5

Unless you are doing a lot of processor intensive work, I doubt you'll notice a huge difference in speed with the extra 250 MHz

3. isd_glory macrumors member

Honestly, there isnt really a whole lot of performance difference between the 1 GHz and the 1.25. However, the 1.25 comes with a lot more features in the stock configuration: 512 MB ram, 80 GB hard drive, Superdrive, Backlit Keyboard, Airport Extreme.

If you were to go to the apple store and add all these features onto the 1 GHz model, it'll cost $2542; only about $50 less than the stock 1.25. Personally, I found extras worth it, and put in an order for the 1.25 GHz model.

4. madru macrumors member

I completely agree with above. 1.25 Ghz version is well equiped, right out of the box. However, it's up to you to decide whether extra features are worth the extra cash. Note: I went for 1.25 version. In my mind, 1.25 pb will simply have more permanence in the long run.

5. ColoJohnBoy macrumors 65816

ColoJohnBoy

Get the 1.25 GHz. If you bring all the features of the 1 GHz up to par with the 1.25 GHz, there's only a $57 price difference between the two.

6. KBFinFan macrumors 6502

For the money.. the 1.25Ghz is certainly worth it. Also, you get the backlit keyboard standard.. which is a good conversation starter.

I guess I'm basically just solidifying everyone else's recommendation.. plus I have a 1.25 and its great!

7. chancellor macrumors member

chancellor

How about battery life? Has anyone estimated what the battery life difference would be?

I'm currently debating the same thing 1.0 v. 1.25. Price isn't an issue for me. I just don't want to lose much battery life with the faster model. Losing any more than 15-20 minutes would make me spring for the 1.0.

8. Powerbook G5 macrumors 68040

Powerbook G5

I doubt it'd matter. Set your energy saver preferences to "automatic" or "reduced" when on battery and it automatically cuts the processor down to half the speed to reduce the amount of power it consumes, so in the long run when it comes to battery life, it shouldn't make any real difference since it will easily scale down to get more life out of your battery.