1Ghz Tipowerbook front side bus

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by CaptainCaveMann, Dec 28, 2004.

1. CaptainCaveMann macrumors 68000

CaptainCaveMann

2. jackieonasses macrumors 6502a

jackieonasses

awfully sure it was 167mhz.I think it might had L3 too.

3. CaptainCaveMann thread starter macrumors 68000

CaptainCaveMann

Actually i just answered my own question. I found a site that showed the specs and guess what? The front side bus was 133 same as the current ibook and the memory speed was 133 and the new ibook is 266! The new ibook should in fact have better performance than a tipowerbook 1ghz pretty cool!!! :D Ibooks are such a great deal! Heres the proof..http://www.dealtime.com/xPF-Apple_PowerBook_G4_M8859LL_A

4. bousozoku Moderator emeritus

It's certainly possible but you never know until you test it yourself. ;)

I've been struggling with the iBook/Powerbook question. However, the convenience of the Powerbook keyboard may be enough to sway me that direction.

5. CaptainCaveMann thread starter macrumors 68000

CaptainCaveMann

Same keyboard except ones aluminum and lighted. Personally i could care less but thats just me and my poor self. If i could afford a powerbook i would buy it even though i dont believe it to be a good value. The ibook is an awesome machine and an awesome value. The powerbook is only an awesome machine :D

6. bousozoku Moderator emeritus

Well, from my quick usage in the store, the Powerbook keyboard on the 12 inch feels a whole lot better than the iBook but then, I can type pretty quickly. I'm really interested in a 15.2 inch Powerbook but I'm wondering if Apple will go with displays similar to the 15.4 inch units in the x86 world.

I was going to sell all my Macintosh equipment just to get one 15.2 inch SuperDrive machine but I need to wait.

7. jackieonasses macrumors 6502a

jackieonasses

Trust me, that powerbook keyboard will make or break the sale. My girlfriend has a 6 month newer ibook. (I have a year old powerbook) Her keyboards keys are rubbing off, and the overall build quality is less than the powerbook. But, the ibook's battery and airport signal is definitely better than the powerbooks.

kyle

8. iRez macrumors member

Battery life and APX reception could also make or break the deal.

9. CaptainCaveMann thread starter macrumors 68000

CaptainCaveMann

Ill take a less than perfect key board over an overheating computer the ibook runs cooler. Cooler=more efficent=longer life=ect. of other things. Believe it as you will but one of the biggest reasons im not interested in a powerbook is the heat issue. And yes it is an issue. I do love the 15inch pb screen though :D

10. justinshiding macrumors member

Hmmm I think the powerbook might still be a bit faster since it (if I remember correctly) has L3 cache (1mb) which the ibooks lack (although the ibooks have twice the L2 cache) and also even though the ibooks memory is running at 266mhz ...it still wouldnt be able to really make use of all that speed because the FSB is still only running at 133mhz. It's probably a wash. They're both lovely machines.

Justin