1gz TiBook?

Discussion in 'Hardware Rumors' started by arn, Jun 7, 2002.

1. arn macrumors god

arn

Staff Member

2. Falleron macrumors 68000

Falleron

Perhaps a special edition to be introduced at NY! I cant see any other explanation (apart from it being a hoax)!

3. Jookbox macrumors 6502

i hope it's not a hoax. my goal was to purchase a tibook when it reaches at least 1ghz.

4. edesignuk Moderator emeritus

edesignuk

Me too! I've been holding out fot the gig TiBook, I really hope it's not a hoax, I want my gig Ti! :D

5. GetSome681 macrumors regular

I hope this is NOT true. I'm about to buy a 667 TiBook, and I'd be extremely upset them updating this soon..unless of course they didn't change the pricing, and the 1 ghz was just insanely expensive, then it wouldn't matter. What, the TiBook has been out a little over a month?

6. GetSome681 macrumors regular

Also, is it just me, or on both pictures it's listed under the category "ACCESSORIES/CABLES & CONNECTORS" while all the other powerbooks etc on that page are listed under "COMPUTER SYSTEMS/PORTABLE COMPUTERS." Sorry for posting like a mad man..I'm just worried b/c I was about to purchase a powerbook today!! :mad:

7. edesignuk Moderator emeritus

edesignuk

GetSome681, why do you not want progression? This is a good thing, the faster the TiBook the faster the pro line macs should get uped to at MWNY.

8. DavPeanut macrumors 6502

Why would they hide it?

Why would apple hide something like the one gig Tibook? If they made one, then that would also mean that the PowerMacs should be running at at least 1.3 Ghz. They will update the Powermacs at MWNY, and will update the Tibooks like 3 months latter.

Someone else said that it said "cables and extra's" or something like that next to the 1 Ghz. I wish it were true.:( At the next update, They will probably put a superdrive on the top Tibook.

9. GetSome681 macrumors regular

Not trying to stop progression, but Apple has been known for keeping some time between their updates, even though they have been trying to get them out quicker. However, $2500 for the low end TiBook is not cheap by any means, and to have that piece of hardware antiquated 2 months after it's introduction considering Apple's precedence, would upset a lot of people with respect to their hard earned money. If they charge the premium they list on that page ($3.6) that's fine b/c I can't afford that anyways, but to have the top end powerbook become the low end in 2 months time....not to sound like all those people always complaining about their mac not being the best anymore...but try and tell me you'd be fine if the 667 you just bought was just replaced in price by the 800. Hopefully I don't sound too hypocritical...but maybe someone will understand what I mean. I'll probably buy anyways.

10. Grokgod macrumors 6502a

Grokgod

nothing to worry about!

There will be NO Ti speed bumps for quite a while

They were just upped and its a great REV!
    There is plenty of money to be made on these babies and APPLE
    isnt about to slaughter this golden goose.
    You have to look at it in a business manner. This cycle must run its course till
    the next revision. Its barely begun to start that.

Also, this next month is the era of the NEW PowerMacs!
    Thats where all the concentration will be, bringing these babies out and strutting their stuff.

Getting them out in time for a good sales year~

If you want a New Ti, well dont worry this is the time, right now.
    New York will be all 10.2 and DDR PowerMacs!

Thats plenty to sweat about.
    I am lining up my Benjamins right now! All in a row. :)

11. GetSome681 macrumors regular

Re: nothing to worry about!

Wanna toss some my way!! hehe:D

12. MacAztec macrumors 68040

MacAztec

Great!

That would be cool. 1GHz would be extreme!

I wonder about the heat issues though...

13. iGav macrumors G3

1 Ghz Ti..... has a lovely ring to it...... hopefully they'll be out by Feb 03 (my upgrade window)...... actually I hope they're faster than 1Ghz by then........

I'm inclined to agree with Grokgod though.... I'd say now TiBook revisions until Sept ish.......

Oh well... I'll just keep saving up then...... :D

14. britboy macrumors 68030

britboy

Re: Great!

From what i hear, the 800's run cooler than the 500's. If that's so, then upping the line to 1GHz probably wouldn't present any problems heat-wise. Apple seem to be getting better at dealing with the heat from the G4 (plus the improved design from moto)... practice makes perfect :)

15. Catfish_Man macrumors 68030

Catfish_Man

Re: Re: Great!

iirc the current G4s are either .15 or .18 micron with SOI. With a .13 micron G4 they could put a GHz chip in the TiBook easily.

16. Mr. Anderson Moderator emeritus

Mr. Anderson

I haven't heard anything about the next speed bump of the G4 CPU, but would it go to a .13 micron or would they be able to get the speed from a current version, just adjusting the clock. I guess what I'm asking is the size reduction necessary for a speed increase?

17. mmmdreg macrumors 65816

mmmdreg

I hope its true but isn't it a bit early after their latest updates?

18. Rower_CPU Moderator emeritus

Rower_CPU

We already have G4s at 1GHz, so we know it's not a speed issue at the larger size.

It's definitely to keep heat and power consumption down.

19. ftaok macrumors 601

ftaok

Or to keep a gap between the PowerBook and PowerMac.

20. Anon macrumors member

Why would they need to keep a gap between the PowerMac and the PowerBook?

21. edesignuk Moderator emeritus

edesignuk

I guess it's generally allways been that pro line towers were the fastest, with notebooks following behind.

22. billiam0878 macrumors 6502

GHz TiBooks

If the PowerMacs hit 1.4GHz at MacWorld NY it would be conceivable that the PowerBook could hit 1.0GHz around September or October, but I couldn't see it happening any sooner as Apple needs to pump the most out of this *very nice* Rev. Maybe a BlueTooth update until then? I guess we'll have to wait and see.

Bill :)

23. cb911 macrumors 601

cb911

maybe Apple will change it's whole way of thinking of towers and the notebooks. maybe they will have a 3rd model in the TiBook line, one that is only just behind or equal to the towers, with a price to match. if there was a TiBook as fast as the towers, even though it might be alot more expensive, there would probably still be a fair few sold. Apple could completely take over the notebook market.

24. britboy macrumors 68030

britboy

Being a little over-optimistic there in your predictions for apples' market share, but yes, that would be a good idea.

The only problem with is that apple use the fastest processor possible in the tower line. The tower has more space for cooling, whereas the laptop doesn't. That means apple can use faster cpu's in the towers before they get them running cool enough for the portable line.

We're probably not going to see any manufacturer (read: moto, intel or amd) with a mobile processor running at, or near to, the desktop model.

25. ftaok macrumors 601

ftaok

But Apple is running the TiBook with a full version of the Apollo. It's not a stripped down version of the desktop chip. Plus, I think the Apollo running at 1ghz is actually cooler than the previous TiBook chip (7451???) running at 667. So I don't think that heat is the main reason keeping Apple from using the 1ghz G4 in the TiBook.