$1k total to spend

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by madddogg, May 1, 2005.

1. madddogg macrumors newbie

Hi,

My uncle is looking to switch. He's got $1k to spend (total). He's been using an old laptop, and likes the convenience. Portability is not a must, however.

So, which way should I point him? A mini with a 17" LCD? A 12" ibook without any RAM upgrades? An older 12" (or 14?) with RAM upgrade? (where?) eMac? Maybe an older iMac?

Sorry, I should add that this is not a "power user" and that things like DVD burning are completely unneccesary. He just needs a system that's going to last a few years that he can connect to the net and do basic things.

TIA,

-Jason

2. Blue Velvet Moderator emeritus

Why not a Mini? Maybe the 1.42ghz one (US$599) with an Apple keyboard and maybe a 3rd party mouse if he's fond of a two-button one. That leaves some money left over for a monitor and some other bits & bobs like RAM or some kind of broadband modem/router.

I only suggest the 1.42 one because it may have more legs in the longer run. Bigger HD, slightly more powerful processor etc.

Bear in mind though, that he may want to use MS Office.

3. unfaded macrumors 6502

If possible, get more RAM. 512 is necessary, and 1 gig is great.

4. SteveC macrumors 6502

For $1000? Mac mini or eMac and upgrade the RAM to as much as possible. If he could invest another $294, the rumored-to-be-released-soon iMac G5 will be a REALLY nice computer. It's price is expected to be $1294. I'm not sure if he needs the added power though?