Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Password managing app 1Password today announced the launch of a new subscription plan for individual users priced at $2.99 per month. The new model will be added to 1Password's existing subscription tiers, including a team plan (beginning at $3.99 per month) and a family plan ($4.99 per month). This will allow users not in need of enterprise- or family-related perks to join in on 1Password's various subscription benefits.

According to AgileBits, the company behind 1Password, the biggest advantage of signing up for a subscription on the password organizing app is that users will "get all the 1Password apps for every platform, along with Pro Features, free updates, and free upgrades to every new version of 1Password." The service allows its subscribers to cancel at any time and alleviates the worry of having to face licenses and paid upgrades down the line.

1password-computers.jpg

The individual subscription service runs on the same new hosted platform that AgileBits created for 1Password Teams and 1Password Families. The company said that using the $2.99 per month subscription model provides users with "the simplest and most feature-packed way to use 1Password."
Our new individual hosted service comes with everything you expect from 1Password, along with these new features:

-Built-in automatic sync across all devices
-Data loss protection
-Web access to your data on 1Password.com
-Item History for restoring deleted or changed items
-Secure Document storage
-Brand new multi-factor security model
As a launch special, anyone who signs up for the new individual plan will get the first six months of 1Password free, without needing to even add their credit card information into the app. To take advantage of the offer, users will need to sign up for the $2.99 per month model before September 21, 2016. The 1Password app is available to download from the iOS App Store for free [Direct Link] -- with the option to choose a one-and-done upgrade to 1Password Pro for $9.99 -- and the Mac App Store for $64.99. [Direct Link]

Update: As 1Password mentioned on Twitter, the company has "no plans to eliminate standalone licenses," so any user who prefers to avoid subscription tiers can still do so.

Article Link: 1Password Introduces $2.99/Month Plan for Individuals, With 6 Months Free at Sign-Up [Updated]

KoolAid-Drink

macrumors 68000
Sep 18, 2013
USA
What's the difference and how will this affect me? I currently have the "Pro" version that I paid for way back in 2013, with free updates every year (apps) and I pay nothing. I use iCloud to sync, so no 1Password account. I assume this continues and won't change?

Also, the "new platform" seems to be exactly the same as the current/old one. So, what am I missing?

umbilical

macrumors 65816
May 3, 2008
FL, USA
What's the difference and how will this affect me? I currently have the "Pro" version that I paid for way back in 2013, with free updates every year (apps) and I pay nothing. I use iCloud to sync, so no 1Password account. I assume this continues and won't change?

Also, the "new platform" seems to be exactly the same as the current/old one. So, what am I missing?

same here, I paid for that app around 2 years ago... so what happens now, I DON'T want pay stupid monthly prices!

avanpelt

macrumors 68030
Jun 2, 2010
I hope they'll let me buy upgrades to the major releases of their apps and that they will continue to support Dropbox syncing. Dropbox is rock-solid. I like AgileBits but the simple fact is that they're not in the sync business. I will gladly support AgileBits with one-time payments, though, because their software is fantastic.

Edit: Just read this on the 1Password site. The answer is from Dave Teare, founder of AgileBits:

Q: Should I begin to worry about the “old model” apps and syncing system? Will the old apps die over the next year(s) and only the cloud-service will be left?

I do not have any plans to be a member in your cloud-system and I like to keep my files for me.

I am a happy customer with your apps on my all devices, but I guess (like some other security-concerned users) will change my password-platform, if this day will arrive.

A: You’re free to keep on doing exactly what you’ve been doing. You’re doing fine and we don’t want to disrupt a workflow that is obviously working great for you.

We’re still selling licenses and we will continue to update the apps for everyone. The only caveat is some of the new features rely on our hosted service and those won’t be available.

-----------------

So, it looks like nothing has to change. Good on AgileBits for making a smart decision and giving their customers options.

Last edited:

mw360

macrumors 68020
Aug 15, 2010
From the AgileBits blog...
With that said, we know that some of you have regional or corporate restrictions that require you to use a cloud-free solution. Others prefer configuring their own sync service or are simply happy with their current setup.

This is all great and you’re free to continue doing exactly what you’ve been doing. Our standalone license is still available for purchase and will continue to be supported, along with great updates to the apps.

miknos

Suspended
Mar 14, 2008
1password is a must-have app. Its very convenient, easy to use and polished.

The app ain't cheap but offers great value. But paying subscription looks like money grabbing IMO.

What's the point of paying monthly subscription if you can get a much better deal paying once? I have both desktop and iOS versions. I'm using the iPhone app all the time and luckily I don't have to pay for it since all the features I use are free.

If they decide to screw users who paid full price (single payment) with the intention to push subscription, many will jump the ship and look for alternatives. If I remember correctly, they did something sneaky years ago.

I prefer 1password but luckily, there's plenty of decent options if they stab their loyal users.

Reactions: mwd25

powerless

macrumors member
Dec 8, 2009
AgileBits will do the right thing and maintain the traditional one-off payment for version X with usually a free upgrade for version Y. If they don't, I may have to send a strongly worded email to Dave Teare who every couple of months will send me an email updating me about various happenings. I don't want to hit that unsubscribe button Dave! But don't tempt me. Dave, don't you Teare dare Dave!
:D

Kajje

macrumors 6502a
Dec 6, 2012
Asia
Cool! For $36 a yet I finally can use 1Password on all my devices. It's cheaper than the previous price setting at $49.99. And with world peace getting in an uncontrollable tail spin, a password manager would probably be the least of my priorities next year.

avanpelt

macrumors 68030
Jun 2, 2010
1password is a must-have app. Its very convenient, easy to use and polished.

The app ain't cheap but offers great value. But paying subscription looks like money grabbing IMO.

What's the point of paying monthly subscription if you can get a much better deal paying once? I have both desktop and iOS versions. I'm using the iPhone app all the time and luckily I don't have to pay for it since all the features I use are free.

If they decide to screw users who paid full price (single payment) with the intention to push subscription, many will jump the ship and look for alternatives. If I remember correctly, they did something sneaky years ago.

I prefer 1password but luckily, there's plenty of decent options if they stab their loyal users.

Check the blog post on their site. They make it pretty clear that while the subscription pricing is a new option, they will continue to sell standalone licenses and upgrades, as well, just as they do today.

Reactions: Stella

geenosr

macrumors regular
Sep 3, 2007
South
Why pay $$$ per month for something that LastPass gives you for free? And if you want it on your mobile devices, it's only $12 per year! $1 per month! I am a very happy user for many years and I've never had any issues whatsoever. And if you think it's not secure enough, check out what Steve Gibson has to say about it. I listened to him describe how it works, why it's safe, and frankly if it's good enough for him, it's good enough for me. Just my 1200 cents.

avanpelt

macrumors 68030
Jun 2, 2010
Hey, MR, you really should update your article to note that AgileBits is going to continue to sell standalone licenses of 1Password just as they always have. This article is going to cause a bunch of people to freak out unnecessarily.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.