Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacKenzie999

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 24, 2002
Boston
Hey folks...

Having finally upgraded from my original iPod, the 1st 10gb model available, I was thinking of giving it to my friend who has a pc. Can an old mac-based iPod make the reverse switch?

thanks
-Mike

SilentPanda

Moderator emeritus
Oct 8, 2002
The Bamboo Forest
I am here to say you can because I did it with my 1st Gen iPod.

The key I found was that when you plug it into the Windows machine, format the iPod drive like you would format a hard drive in Windows. Then run the iPod updater for Windows and you should be good to go.

RoadKill

macrumors regular
Dec 4, 2003
LONDON UK
I have a 2G 10GB iPod that was originally bought as pc formatted one.

Then when i got my iBook I changed it to be mac formatted without any problems.

BACKUP ANY DATA FROM YOUR IPOD BEFORE GOING FURTHER

Go get the pc version of the latest firmware from here and install it on a pc. You should then be able to format the disk to a windows compatible format.

If you have any problems download the apple version of the firmware and restore it back to good ol' mac formated and get your friend to buy a mac to go with the ipod :)

MacKenzie999

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 24, 2002
Boston
tomjleeds said:
Actually, there was no 1G 10GB model, the 10GB arrived with the 2G 'touchwheel' ;)

Do you mean the version with no buttons around the rim of the wheel? Mine has them, mine is identical to the original 5gb in all but capacity, released 3 months later.

CubaTBird

macrumors 68020
Apr 18, 2004
ur pc must have firewire for ur ipod to work... i don't think the first gen ipods supported usb 2.0.. i think that came out later.. i could be wrong... what id do is just dl the ipod software updater and run that... u can get it here..

http://www.apple.com/ipod/download/

id also make sure u had the lastest version of iTunes just for the sake of it...

http://www.apple.com/itunes/download/

if all ur songs are on that ipod.. make sure u back em up with somethin like ipod rip or some other ripping program... then id hit RESTORE on the updater to make sure everything gets cleaned out on that ipod... once thats done... u 'pod should work with ur pc and itunes just fine

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.