Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ecschwarz

macrumors 65816
Jun 28, 2010
I'm liking all the posts with pictures to see how the process differs around the world...I already sent mine off, otherwise I would've added the US version...

Holdencommstra

macrumors member
Oct 6, 2011
Sydney Australia
I'm liking all the posts with pictures to see how the process differs around the world...I already sent mine off, otherwise I would've added the US version...

in Australia it is Different.instead of Apple Senting the packaging to place the ipod nano inside Australian's have to go to an Australia Post store and just show them the paperwork and they will get an box and bubble wrap to place the nano inside.

i have sented mine to Apple Australia today and i went to the post office in Sydney CBD Queen Victoria building and they had ran out of small boxes so they place my nano inside a box that is the size of an A4 paper in width.it's like the size of two tissue boxes.

i saw another guy that was senting off his 1st gen nano as well.

sl33t

macrumors regular
Nov 12, 2011
Cleveland, Ohio
Reports have come in to various blogs that some replacement units have already been received and they are, in fact, 1st Generation Nanos that have been refurbed to like-new condition. No scratches, no dents. It's like a time warp. Serial numbers are different though, and, just like Apple said in the original email, custom engravings are not being reproduced.

RECAP:

You get....

1) 1st Gen Nano
2) Refurbed / Like-new condition
3) Identical specification (color, memory)
4) Not your exact original unit (different serial #)
5) No custom engravings
just out of curiousity, are they sending them back in original 1st gen nano packaging?

Resist

macrumors 68040
Jan 15, 2008
I would bet the replacement will be the current Nano version, not a refurbished 1st Gen Nano with a new battery. It's easier and less expensive for Apple to do it that way. Even though the new Nano costs less than the 1st Gen Nano did, it has more memory and this makes it a better deal.

However what sucks, is losing the personalized engraving (at an extra cost), some had done to their Nano's.

wordoflife

macrumors 604
Jul 6, 2009
My shipping package was different from the first two pics posted on this thread. I guess I should mention that I'm from the US. The package included a label shipping to PA (different repair centers?).

I shipped it last night and got an email from Apple today, that my device has been received. Can't wait to get a completely scratchless version.

Btw black looks sick! I should have went with black instead of white.

yanki01

macrumors 68040
Feb 28, 2009
my box came from PA but the address it went to is in CA? i too received an email saying they've received it and all 3 steps were done. just waiting on getting it back now.

wordoflife

macrumors 604
Jul 6, 2009
my box came from PA but the address it went to is in CA? i too received an email saying they've received it and all 3 steps were done. just waiting on getting it back now.

I just checked my status and it says "Diagnosing Product".
How long did it take for you?

yanki01

macrumors 68040
Feb 28, 2009
I just checked my status and it says "Diagnosing Product".
How long did it take for you?
they received my iPod on the 22nd, and did all 3 steps. it's still in step 3 and say "product replacement pending".

mikehockenballs

macrumors member
Nov 6, 2007
Greater Manchester, England
Has anyone got their replacement iPod back fromApple yet?

I am in the UK and have not got mine back yet, it shows as being at stage three.

It will be very interesting to see just what people do receive, it could even differ by country?

So if you have already got yours back then please post what version / colour you got.

ilovemyibook

macrumors 6502
Mar 19, 2006
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A405 Safari/7534.48.3)

mikehockenballs said:
Has anyone got their replacement iPod back fromApple yet?

I am in the UK and have not got mine back yet, it shows as being at stage three.

It will be very interesting to see just what people do receive, it could even differ by country?

So if you have already got yours back then please post what version / colour you got.

It's going to be a first generation Nano, same color and capacity as the one you sent in. That's what it'll be.

zed2

macrumors 6502a
Jul 17, 2004
Bucks
Well I posted mine back and they received it on the 12 November 2011... I'm is in stage three and has been since then..

So far 4 weeks it's been with apple with no sign of it moving!

How long does it take to post out a replacement unit!?!!?!?! :mad:

yanki01

macrumors 68040
Feb 28, 2009
Well I posted mine back and they received it on the 12 November 2011... I'm is in stage three and has been since then..

So far 4 weeks it's been with apple with no sign of it moving!

How long does it take to post out a replacement unit!?!!?!?! :mad:
per apple's email, up to 6 weeks for a replacement.

androiphone

macrumors 65816
Dec 13, 2009
can any UK people help me?

when you posted it at the post office, you got a receipt using the barcode does it actually track the package? also when apple receives the ipod does the apple repair site change to say the have got it?

also how long did it take for apple to get it when you sent it?

zed2

macrumors 6502a
Jul 17, 2004
Bucks
can any UK people help me?

when you posted it at the post office, you got a receipt using the barcode does it actually track the package? also when apple receives the ipod does the apple repair site change to say the have got it?

also how long did it take for apple to get it when you sent it?

It allows Royal Mail to track it.. it's just proof of postage.

Yes Apple sent me a mail to say they had received it and when I go to the support site I can see that it's updated. It took about 2 days to arrive with Apple.

androiphone

macrumors 65816
Dec 13, 2009
It allows Royal Mail to track it.. it's just proof of postage.

Yes Apple sent me a mail to say they had received it and when I go to the support site I can see that it's updated. It took about 2 days to arrive with Apple.

much appreciated,
mine has been in the post for 10 days now with no update or indication where it is, starting to get a little worried :(

batch

macrumors newbie
Dec 13, 2011
much appreciated,
mine has been in the post for 10 days now with no update or indication where it is, starting to get a little worried :(

I'm also in the UK. I submitted the request on 15th Nov. Packaging arrived something like 26th Nov. Sent it back 28th November, status finally changed from "packaging sent" -> "Product Replacement Pending" on 12th December.

In short, I think they have a shed load being returned and have a bit of a backlog. I wouldn't worry. I think those with the quick turnaround were the ones that got in really quickly after the recall notice, now the queue is longer:)

Last edited:

Cursed

macrumors member
Nov 28, 2010
Staffordshire UK
I'm in the UK and requested service on the 9th December. Received my jiffy bag today and took it to the post office. Now I have the fun of waiting for it to be returned. I'm just glad I haven't been waiting weeks for packaging like some people.

richardhunt

macrumors regular
Oct 2, 2007
In the US, I applied for the replacement on Nov 17, got the box on Nov 30, sent it and apple received it on Dec 2nd. It has been in the "Product replacement pending" stage since Dec 2nd. I hope I get a new style Nano, but others have posted that they just get the same type Nano back.

androiphone

macrumors 65816
Dec 13, 2009
I'm also in the UK. I submitted the request on 15th Nov. Packaging arrived something like 26th Nov. Sent it back 28th November, status finally changed from "packaging sent" -> "Product Replacement Pending" on 12th December.

In short, I think they have a shed load being returned and have a bit of a backlog. I wouldn't worry. I think those with the quick turnaround were the ones that got in really quickly after the recall notice, now the queue is longer:)

many many thanks for that, mine has now arrived at apple :D and has moved onto step 3 ready for a replacement one to be sent out :D:D

Mr. Amiga500

macrumors regular
Jan 19, 2007
Canada
I filed on November 15, still haven't received my shipping box.

I sent my request on Nov. 21 and haven't received my shipping box either. What the hell is going on? Did UPS lose the box? I better not get a notice saying the repair deadline has passed.

FL410

macrumors newbie
Mar 21, 2011
My replacement has been shipped

I happened to be online when the original Apple recall email was sent. I filled out the recall info immediately, received my boxes (I own 2) a couple of days later, and Apple received my Nanos on November 16. I received this email tonight:

Your service request has been completed and your IPOD NANO shipped on 2011-12-17. Please allow two business days for delivery.

Your product shipped via using tracking number XXXXXXXXXXX, which should be active within 24 hours.

Shipping address:
XXXXXXX
XXXXXXX
UNITED STATES

Serial Number of Original Product: YMXXXXXXXXXX

Serial Number of Replacement Product: DCXXXXXXXX

Please retain this email as a record that your product's serial number has changed as a result of this service request.

Repair ID: XXXXXXXXXX
Your repair status is available online.

Apple

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.