Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

GlynJones

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 15, 2005
Hi All,
My wife and I have bought our boys refurb 1st gen iPhone Touch's for Christmas and last night we decided to check they were working correctly, charge them up and put some music on them so that have something to do with them on Christmas morning.

The firmware supplied was 1.5.1 with extra software but when I check for an upgrade it states that this is the latest version. My iPhone is up to 2.2 so I don't understand why this version is so low.

I have not registered them so I'm maybe thinking that this is maybe the cause of the problem. We need to sort out apple ID's for the boys as they will be getting iTune gift cards from other relatives.

Can someone tell me what the latest firmware is for the 1st Gen Touch and also if the reason is because it's unregistered.

Thanks.

Glyn Jones.

Ivan P

macrumors 68030
Jan 17, 2008
Home
Hi All,
My wife and I have bought our boys refurb 1st gen iPhone Touch's for Christmas and last night we decided to check they were working correctly, charge them up and put some music on them so that have something to do with them on Christmas morning.

The firmware supplied was 1.5.1 with extra software but when I check for an upgrade it states that this is the latest version. My iPhone is up to 2.2 so I don't understand why this version is so low.

I have not registered them so I'm maybe thinking that this is maybe the cause of the problem. We need to sort out apple ID's for the boys as they will be getting iTune gift cards from other relatives.

Can someone tell me what the latest firmware is for the 1st Gen Touch and also if the reason is because it's unregistered.

Thanks.

Glyn Jones.

To get the 2.0 software you have to buy a software upgrade for $10 from the iTunes Store. The software you currently have installed was the last version preinstalled on the 1st gen touch; it was released at the same time as 2.0 as an alternative for those that didn't want to pay for the upgrade.
2.2 for the iPod touch is out right now (the updates have currently always stayed in sync with the iPhone updates), but to get it you'll have to pay the $10 upgrade fee per iPod.

To clarify, it's not to do with not being registered, it's the fact that 2.0 (and above) has only come preinstalled on the latest generation iPod touch.

If you're wondering why there's a fee, apparently it's something to do with the fact that Apple receives some money from iPhone users that makes up part of their monthly bill for the software and as a result they are legally obligated to charge some sort of fee for iPod touch users for major upgrades.

GlynJones

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 15, 2005
Thanks for the reply. Looks like if the boys want to buy games then they will have to fork out for the software upgrade as well.

At least I know now.

Once again thanks.

Glyn Jones.

sjleworthy

macrumors 68000
Dec 5, 2008
Penarth, Wales, UK
Thanks for the reply. Looks like if the boys want to buy games then they will have to fork out for the software upgrade as well.

At least I know now.

Once again thanks.

Glyn Jones.

dont be so mean :p it's only a couple of bucks, go buy it for them like the kind loving father you are :)

they'll certainly thank you for it - the difference between 1.x and 2.x is a million miles!!!

GlynJones

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 15, 2005
dont be so mean :p it's only a couple of bucks, go buy it for them like the kind loving father you are :)

they'll certainly thank you for it - the difference between 1.x and 2.x is a million miles!!!

Times are hard what with the credit crunch .... :rolleyes:

I probabily will but I'll do it Christmas morning just so they know that some upgrades are not free.

Mr Kram

macrumors 68020
Oct 1, 2008
is it $10 per ipod? i think i only paid the fee once for both my touches.

Ivan P

macrumors 68030
Jan 17, 2008
Home
is it $10 per ipod? i think i only paid the fee once for both my touches.

It's tied to your iTunes account. If the OP and his family all use different accounts for the iTunes Store then they'll probably have to buy it separately for each iPod, they'll be in luck if they all happen to use the same account.

aethelbert

macrumors 601
Jun 1, 2007
Chicago, IL, USA
I was wondering that myself. Both iPods will be on the same PC using the same account so hopefully yes.
One purchase will do it. You only need the iTunes account to download it on your computer. Other than that, you can use whichever ID you want on the iPod itself. There's no need to buy it twice.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.