1st gen Shuffle survives washing!

Discussion in 'iPod' started by RugoseCone, Nov 21, 2006.

1. RugoseCone macrumors 6502

My wife accidently ran our 1st gen Shuffle through the wash. We've got a Bosch washer that has a 1200 rpm spin cycle! It sounds like a jet turbine.

She found it in her jeans pocket while transferring wet clothes to the dryer by the headphones dangling out of the pocket. So I took it apart to let it dry out better and after reassembly it picked up playing the song she had paused it on! Wow, that's pretty macho.

2. sushi Moderator emeritus

sushi

Awesome accidental test! ;)

3. Rojo macrumors 65816

Rojo

That's totally hot.

Now someone just needs to put a 2nd gen shuffle through the wash, to see if it survives too. :D

4. Tom B. macrumors 65816

Tom B.

I know it's not quite the same, but the new shuffle will survive being dropped in beer. It's on the second page of Ars Technica's excellent review of the new shuffle here.
    So, overall, it survived being; dropped, steped on, dropped into beer and dropped from a third-story* balcony on to concrete! It only stopped playing when they ran it over with a car.

It's definetly on my Christmas list, especially for only £55!

*I'm not sure if they mean UK third-story or US third-story. UK third-story is the floor above US third-story, so that would be more impressive.

5. Xeem macrumors 6502a

Xeem

My sister (who breaks EVERYTHING) also put her first gen Shuffle through the wash, and it was fine after it dried. After I saw her Shuffle play again, I was so impressed that I bought one for myself.

6. mrkramer macrumors 603

mrkramer

The site appears to be a US site, so I would assume that it is US third-story.

7. backsidetailsli macrumors 65816

backsidetailsli

damn thats cool
    another reason i should get one

8. carve macrumors 6502a

carve

Wow!

That is very impressive! Just shows you how strong apple products are!:D

9. Phatpat macrumors 6502a

Phatpat

One of the things I love about the shuffle. It's a tank. You simply don't have to worry about damaging it.

10. LAO macrumors newbie

Anybody willing to throw their ipod in the wash to test MacLuver101's theory?!

11. Brayden87 macrumors member

Could you guys chuck an 80gb ipod in for me? lol i want to see if mine will last:) :)

12. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

Throw an iMac in there as well.

13. appleman123 macrumors newbie

Haha and a Mac Pro in the pool is supose~

14. gog macrumors regular

Oops.

My palm tungsten E2 and motorola phone just got a wash... sadly they did not live up to the quality control of the shuffle.

15. Coolnat2004 macrumors 6502

Coolnat2004

My friend's 1st generation iPod nano survived a trip in the washer after letting it dry. If you try to turn it on right away, it's a goner.

16. Dave00 macrumors 6502a

My brother-in-law's 1st-gen nano survived the washer and dryer. Twice. I'd agree though, turning it on wet is probably a bad idea.

Dave

17. Xander562 macrumors 68000

Xander562

My Cell phone survived the wash, although the front LCD doesn't work anymore and it acted REALLY WEIRD for ~1 month afterward. And it still turns off at random times:eek:. Oh well, it works and i'm not worried about it because it's total crap.

18. elppa macrumors 68040

elppa

That's cruel. It's only little!

19. RugoseCone thread starter macrumors 6502

Poor thing survives a washing, but apparently it can't hold up to being unplugged. While pulling it out of the USB port the darn ribbon tore. Oh well, it was a gift from a client, so no monetary loss. Until I replace it I suppose.

20. ChickenSwartz macrumors 6502a

I am waiting for someone to post ans say "2nd Gen shuffle survives stomach acid" after their kid swallows the thing.