1st gen tv and iPhone 5 airplay?

Discussion in 'Apple TV and Home Theater' started by bad03xtreme, Nov 15, 2012.

1. macrumors 6502a

bad03xtreme

I am about to get my first ever smartphone and one on my main reasons for getting an iPhone was because I have an iMac, MacBook Pro, and a 1st Gen tv and I wanted to be able to use airplay to play music and videos through my stereo and tv via airplay from my iPhone.

I use my computers now to play music using my airport extreme and that connects everything to the same network. However I just read that the 1st gen tv does cannot stream music or videos from an iPhone, is that the case? :(

2. Moderator

OllyW

Staff Member

Yes it's true, AirPlay only works with the ATV 2 & 3.

3. thread starter macrumors 6502a

bad03xtreme

Well dang.

4. macrumors newbie

It is possible though.

5. thread starter macrumors 6502a

bad03xtreme

Go on...

I may just get one of those Droid DNA's if I can't use the iPhone with my tv the way I thought I could.

6. macrumors newbie

XBMC supports airplay on the atv1 .. requires jailbreak however

7. thread starter macrumors 6502a

bad03xtreme

I have already installed that but it was a few years back now. Do I need to upgrade it? I do play my music through my tv using iTunes on my computer is that airplay? I always thought that was what the tv was supposed to do.

8. macrumors newbie

Yes and No I suppose. Depends how you intend to serve your media to the aTV. iTunes running on your machine will always work for any media contained within iTunes. For videos, this requires a certain format however. To better answer your question, you are going to be using the iPhone 5 as the devise you intend to airplay from, correct?

What type of media are you intending to airplay from the iPhone to the aTV?

9. thread starter macrumors 6502a

bad03xtreme

I would mainly use the tv to play music and put my photos or videos taken with the phone up on the tv from the phone if possible without having to import everything into the computer first. I was under the impression I could take a video of my kid with the phone and turn around and watch it on my tv since I have an tv but I suppose I am mistaken.

10. macrumors newbie

Ok. You can do all of that from your iphone 5 through XBMC. If you want to stay with the appletv 1 then XBMC will be your only option. Alternatively you could just pick up the atv 3 and all will work well out of box. not a bad upgrade for $99 considering your current commitment to the apple ecosystem already.

11. macrumors demi-god

The original tv that you're still rocking was designed over six years ago! :eek:

AirPlay is definitely an awesome feature, but it does require the hardware in a newer AppleTV to work with.

12. macrumors 68020

True with stock software, not true running xbmc. xbmc has airplay when its on an atv 1. Works good too.