1st generation iPod...

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by fatzmack, Mar 30, 2004.

1. fatzmack macrumors newbie

i hate to say it [for some of you may col' heartedly disagree], but i hate the third generation ipod. the new user interface (placement of the buttons) just didn't do it for me; checked it out at the apple store... the buttons are so sensitive. i really enjoy the feeling of the 1st generation ipod [which i currently own].

now, my ipod is more o' less busted up to the extent that it's nothing more than a firewire hard drive. the plastic inner rings of the headphone jack have been cracked and chiseled to the point where i can only hear from one of two earbuds. and it ain't the earbuds, i've tried with other headphones.

i wish to purchase a new ipod, but i really don't feel like gettin' the 3rd gen ipod. i'd rather get the 1st generation... if not second (does it hold the same button interface as the 1st? don't remember the point in which the button interface changed...). i've looked nearly everywhere i could think of... that is to say, ebay, small dog electronics - no success. does anyone here know anyplace that sells the 1st generation ipods? or has it reached the point where it's very hard, if not impossible to find

2. jimsowden macrumors 68000

jimsowden

Try out the mini, all the selections are made on the CLICK button in the middle, on the four click buttons under the wheel. The only thing that is touch is the scroll, the way it should be. It alse has the same capacity.

3. SilentPanda Moderator emeritus

SilentPanda

I have a first gen 10 gig that has been sitting on the floor of my bedroom mostly... if you're interested. It's in pretty good condition (obviously smudges on the backing)... but works like a champ. I mainly used it on long car trips and would have it plugged into the cigarette lighter... in real use with the back light off it probably gets 6 hours of time (although it tends to discharge even when not in use). Don't know if you're interested in it or not. I have the headphones, the firewire cable, the original box (in very very good condition), the iPod obviously, and the firewire to outlet adapter... plus I'd throw in the car adapter (I think it was like $20 or so). Let me know a price and we'll talk. I have eBay feedback if you wanna look through that...

4. fatzmack thread starter macrumors newbie

i have considered the mini, but the storage limit kills any chances of it being under my possession. i currenly hold around 8 gigs of music, all of which i listen to at one point or another.

silent panda: i'll give you a heads up if all my other searches fail...