1st Impressions of NHL 2K6 for Xbox 360

Discussion in 'Games' started by XNine, Dec 2, 2005.

1. XNine macrumors 68040

XNine

Why are you wearing that stupid man suit?
    Okay, so I bought this game last night because, well, I love hockey, I ahte football, golf, and basketball, and needed another game since I've beat PDZ twice and am halfway through CoD2 for the 2nd time, this tiem on the hardest setting.

First Impressions:
    The graphics SUCK. It's definately not on par with where ti should be for being on the 360. The animations are a little choppy, the 3D models look very advanced PSX, maybe early PS2 quality. The menus look like Sega Genesis quality. And I'm not kidding.

The controls: More controls than you can think of. Just about every button it seems has a 2nd, and in some cases, 3rd function in different scenarios, and some have to be combined together. Very confusing for someone who just wants to sit down, and get a double major for beating Burtizzi's skull into the ice with his whole line leaving only the goalie.

Goalie control: Difficult. There needs to be some kind of tutorial on how exactly this whole thing works.

In short, it doesn't seem bad as far as actual gameplay, and there is more accurate and worth-while commentary and video clips than ever before.

However, I am convinced that last year's complaints of EA employees working too much is false, as this title, along with anything else EA ever puts out, is not totally worth the 60 bucks. I think EA needs to make their employees sleep at the office to actually get a decent game out of them. This was utter laziness.

2. CSUNdude macrumors newbie

Maybe I'm wrong here, but doesnt EA make NHL 2006, where as NHL 2k6 is made by a different company? NHL 2k series use to be produced by ESPN before they dropped their hockey contract. I dont know who does it now, but I dont think it would be EA, as they already have a hockey franchise going.

Hey, since you are a hockey fan, do you have any experience with PS2 hockey games? Which would you recommend, NHL 2k6 or NHL 2006 for PS2.

3. debroglie macrumors 6502a

debroglie

4. Tommyg117 macrumors 6502a

Tommyg117

yep, I noticed that the 2k6 games are not on par with the EA games as far as graphics for the 360, do they make up for that with the gameplay?

5. Abulia macrumors 68000

Abulia

Actually NBA 2k6 looks better than Live and its gameplay is far superior to Live as well. But, this could just be for the NBA game, though.

6. XNine thread starter macrumors 68040

XNine

Not EA? Hmmmm. Interesting.

As for PS2, the last Hockey game I played was 2005, so I couldn't give you a good suggestion at this point.

7. 0s and 1s macrumors 6502a

0s and 1s

Thanks! You just saved me $60.

I'm a big hockey fan and was considering 2k6. I'll wait for next year.

Go Kings! :cool:

8. eva01 macrumors 601

eva01

NHL 2006 is awesome. the 2K series has gone down hill since the dreamcast went away.

9. XNine thread starter macrumors 68040

XNine

Nice to see you, Eva. It's been a while!

Well, I might go buy PGR3 tonight. NFS looks too importy and I ******* hate it went people trick out import cars. Gimme a good muscle car any day! :mad:

The gameplay seems a little easy so far, as I literally would weave in and out of all of their team, not pass, not deak, and then shoot it for a goal. I beat vancouver last night 9-2. I could have scored more, but the rest of the time I was getting penalties buy smashing Bertuzzi around, calling him various names and making my neighbors think I'm a psycho.

10. pknz macrumors 68020

pknz

How did you not realise that NHL 2K6 was not made by EA? Surely the lack of EA insignia, loading screen etc, plus the fact that some other companies logo came up where EA's would have?

11. XNine thread starter macrumors 68040

XNine

Cos I was feeding the dog after I threw the disc in. I've never been impressed with any EA game at all either. Most American companies can't make a video game well enough anyway. Very few can. 989 Studios: Crap. EA: Crap. Agetec: Crap (except their ports of Armored Core.) Very few american companies cna put out a really good game.

12. Catfish Jones macrumors member

I found it bogus that 2K6 retailed for the original Xbox at $30 CDN but costs $70 CDN retail for the Xbox 360. Surely it's not -that- different of a game.