Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Palmer

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 14, 2006
I am looking at buying my first Mac (in August) and I’m leaning towards the Macbook. The programs I will use on it iMove /FCE, a long with the typical apps.

But I am having a little trouble deciding which white model to get.

Is the SuperDrive and faster CPU worth $200 or should I just use the money on Ram and a better HDD?

Also, I will also be buying a Mac Pro next year when I go to Film School. The Macbook will just be used to help me learn on and because I can’t wait a year to get a Mac.

bobber205

macrumors 68020
Nov 15, 2005
Oregon
It's not worth the money for the Superdrive. I didn't get it. You can, with savvy shopping, get an external dvd burner for about 50 dollars or less. I would buy the lower stock model, and add your own ram later, maybe even a hard drive (though that requires two macs I think).

Hope I've helped.

JackSYi

macrumors 6502a
Feb 20, 2005
Palmer said:
I am looking at buying my first Mac (in August) and I’m leaning towards the Macbook. The programs I will use on it iMove /FCE, a long with the typical apps.

But I am having a little trouble deciding which white model to get.

Is the SuperDrive and faster CPU worth $200 or should I just use the money on Ram and a better HDD?

Also, I will also be buying a Mac Pro next year when I go to Film School. The Macbook will just be used to help me learn on and because I can’t wait a year to get a Mac.

I say if you don't want the black casing, get the cheapest model and upgrade the RAM and HD with third party parts.

GooMan

macrumors regular
May 8, 2006
USA
If it were an 8X drive I would say upgrade but the 4X superdrive is super slow.

If I would have wanted a white one I would have chosen the cheap one and upgraded the RAM and HD myself.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.