1st Typed letter not recognized sometimes?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by Nuc, Feb 23, 2006.

1. Nuc macrumors 6502a

Nuc

I'm having some trouble with typing on my computer. I have my computer password protected and at the login screen when I get the screen out of sleep I type my password, but 99% of the time the first letter I type is not recognized. This is driving me nuts. I don't have the setting on to sleep the system so I know the system is still active. However I do have the HD on sleep whenever possible (maybe this is the problem).

Also this occurs when I do a spotlight search and when I search using the finder window. The spotlight and finder search occurs only when I bring the display out of sleep.

Is anyone having this problem. Also I have a pismo and it has never done this with the same setting as I stated above.

Thanks,

Nuc

2. matticus008 macrumors 68040

matticus008

Well, I've noticed the same problem when waking from sleep on my 15" PB lately (maybe since the 10.4.5 update, maybe before). It takes a second before keyboard input is recognized. But it only happens when the computer has previously been sleeping, so it's likely that the computer is not as quick to wake the keyboard as the rest of the machine.

3. funkychunkz macrumors 6502a

funkychunkz

Most likely just the USB interface last to be activated after wake-up. Does this still happen if you wait another minute after waking up. One fixto this would be to always hit a key before typing your password, or take out the first letter in it (and still type the old one), and not notice any difference.

4. WildCowboy Administrator/Editor

WildCowboy

Staff Member

Ahh...yes! I'm not the only one! This has been driving me crazy...it definitely started before 10.4.5. If I had to guess, I'd say it started for me around 10.4.3. I haven't noticed it happening right after waking from sleep...it seems to happen at all times for me. It happens most often in Safari in the Google search bar. It also happens in Word.

It seems to me that it happens when you change the focus of the text field quickly.

5. jalagl macrumors 6502a

jalagl

Happens to me with USB keyboards..

This happens to me with my work notebook when using a USB keyboard... I hate it, but I'm getting used to it.

6. mrzeve macrumors 6502a

For those who are having this problem when waking up from sleep, try hitting the Command button or command+tab a few times before you enter your password. Its annoying but atleast you wont have to retype.

7. Nuc thread starter macrumors 6502a

Nuc

I think I remember it happening since 10.4.3. Other than that I'm not sure what's going on... Hopefully apple will address this issue.

Nuc