1U rack server

Discussion in 'General Mac Discussion' started by jefhatfield, May 15, 2002.

1. jefhatfield Retired

Jul 9, 2000
    apple's new 1U server is really intense, no doubt!

but how many HOME users are there out on this forum that can justify the need for one of those?

is it only for BUSINESS use?

just curious
  2. mac15 macrumors 68040

Dec 29, 2001
    I'd say only buisness
    It a bit to expensive for home use
  3. Ensign Paris macrumors 68000

Ensign Paris

Nov 4, 2001
    It is for Education & Business, it is not much use for home users because if they use a server they can just use a cheap iMac.

It probably the best price that I have ever seen a good powerful server at, at work we are just pricing up a few of them to replace our horrible WIN2K servers which are good put not as powerful and they cost about £80000 for the whole setup and we can now replace them (3) with a system (xserve) that will cost us quarter of that!

4. iGav macrumors G3

Mar 9, 2002
    Agreed.... well and education institues.......

When I win the Lotto on Saturday (the first time I'll have done it in about 5 years!!) I'm gonna buy myself 42 of them, in that cool soda can fridge thing that they fit in.....

God knows what I'll do with 84Ghz, 20+ terabytes of storage and 84Gb of RAM........

I'm sure I can find a use for it though....... heh heh.......

Render farm anyone??? :p
  5. G4scott macrumors 68020

Jan 9, 2002
    Austin, TX
    I don't know... My school seems to toss around money by the truckloads when it comes to technology. They spent $40000 on a HP server that is now 4 years old and takes up the space of about 3 42U racks... it's pathetic, but If my school district were to switch to using xServes, they would save space, and money, and they'd have a better network...