2.0 or 2.5 g5?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by amoildani, Jul 31, 2004.

1. amoildani macrumors member

Ive decided its time to replace my current PC system (2500 barton) witha g5. I already own a 12 in pb (867mhz one) and I just love it.

So nows its in between the 2.0 and the 2.5ghz. I do video editing, and thats the main use I plan to have with the system, but im not sure if ths difference is that high. I couyld use the money I save on the 2.0 to upgrade the ram a bit, but not sure, what do you say?

2. iris_failsafe macrumors 6502

iris_failsafe

It depends on what kind of video. If it is standard video (DV-SD) a 2Ghz with a 1GB-2Gb of emory will do fine. If you want to do HD or digital compositing with Shake the 2.5 is the way to go

3. amoildani thread starter macrumors member

well, its DV for now, I dont see any HD for the next year or so, but I guess i'll be keeping this computer longer than that hopefully...

so for compositioning the 2.5 would be a lot better? I dont do heavy stuff, probably just intro graphics to short films and things, I'd use some graphic programs (photoshop) also when I have a chance to buy it for mac

4. Duff-Man macrumors 68030

Duff-Man

Duff-Man says....there is already this thread which basically asks the same question and has several replies already.....oh yeah!

5. crazzyeddie macrumors 68030

crazzyeddie

6. amoildani thread starter macrumors member

oh wow, didnt even see that thread (i searched, i did!)

so the 2.5 isnt even out yet?

7. Duff-Man macrumors 68030

Duff-Man

Duff-Man says...it appears the first real shipments of 2.5's went out on friday so they should be showing up in users hands starting tomorrow and tuesday I would guess.....hopefully those lucky ones that receive them don't forget about us and report back with any and all info.....oh yeah!

8. Skiniftz macrumors 6502

If you want it now, get the DP2.0. If you can wait until some time in 2005, get the DP2.5.