2.0 v 2.16

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by jniedt, Aug 2, 2006.

  1. jniedt macrumors newbie

    Aug 2, 2006
    Hey, I'm new to the game, looking to convert from PC and join the horde.

    As I am a PC-eathen, I do not follow Mac trends as closely as other things. I know the basic lineup of the 15 2.0, 15 2.16, 17 2.16. I'm pretty set on either the 2.0+1GB or 2.16 straight. What I'm concerned about is whether the extra +.16 and +128 MB of graphics is worth 500 bucks. I'm going to be doing pretty heavy graphic design stuff, but no gaming. Just curious what everyone's opinion what difference it would make with current cs2(or if anyone has any inside info on cs3's req's i'm all ears. :) ). I'm leaning toward biting the bullet as I want something that will last in some capacity beyond my graduation from art school(and subsequent poverty :) ).

  2. Chundles macrumors G4


    Jul 4, 2005
    I very much doubt that extra money would be best spent on the faster model. The extra VRAM and GHz isn't going to make much of a difference.

    Because you say you're going to be running Graphic Design programs you'd be best off to spend the extra amount on taking your RAM up to 2GB to help offset the slowdown in CS2 due to it having to be emulated.

    Buy the 2.0GHz model, give it 2GB of RAM and use the left-over cash on an external hard drive and some cool accessories.

    CS3 would most likely fly on the Core Duo system when it arrives. Remember, the MBP is likely to move over to Core 2 Duo very soon giving a ~20% boost in performance at the same power consumption. Might be a thing to consider.
  3. Shadow macrumors 68000


    Feb 17, 2006
    Keele, United Kingdom
    I doubt there will be any noticable difference between 2.0GHz and 2.16GHz-at most a few seconds. That is the reason I got a 1.83GHz MacBook and not the 2.0GHz. The extra few MHz will only show when the CPU is at 100% (or whats what I heard-may not be correct). Its currently idling at 1.5GHz-the same as my old MacBook 2.0GHz did (and at 52/53C :D).

    I use Photoshop CS2 extensivley (only trail until I get my hands on CS1 disk for full version) and its impressive (for emulation). Its faster (or seems it) than my 3GHz P4.
  4. jniedt thread starter macrumors newbie

    Aug 2, 2006
    I probably will go for the 2.0 1GB then. I should have been clearer, I don't have a budget of the 2.16 but i could if necessary, bite the bullet and get it. If I don't get it, thats $500 more bucks my bank account has, not the 2.0. :) I'll probably upgrade the ram later on, after my bank account has recovered. But right now im juggling a 2.0 1gb 128 against a 2.16 1gb 256. I'm waiting til wwdc(and another paycheck) or whatnot to see if they announce any new stuff regarding core 2 duo or the mbp.

    Thanks for the info btw! :)
  5. LBmacman macrumors member

    Jun 15, 2006
    Strong Beach
    Or you could do this

    buy the lowest end 15 inch MBP with merom, max out the ram, and then spend the rest of the dough on an extra display or an external hard drive

Share This Page