2.0GHz PowerMac Shipping

Discussion in 'Macintosh Computers' started by wildmac, Sep 4, 2003.

1. wildmac macrumors 65816

Jun 13, 2003

So 15 Dual G5's have shipped to college kids. Whoppee!

Apple has to get it's act together. they clearly were not ready for the orders they received.

And they certainly are getting less and less dependent on the hardware business. After all, they are making what, 100 G5s a week?...
  2. hayesk macrumors 65816

May 20, 2003
    Do you have inside info that we don't? Do you know exactly what the holdup was? If not, then your points really have no merit, do they? How do you know they weren't ready?

Regardless, the statement about being less dependent on hardware was interesting. I don't think it means OS X for Intel though. I would rather see Cocoa for Intel (i.e. bring back Yellow Box). That way developers could have true cross platform apps with little extra effort.
  3. wildmac thread starter macrumors 65816

Jun 13, 2003
    How do I know they weren't ready?.. BECAUSE THEY HAVEN'T SHIPPED THEM!!! Looking at availability is actually a good way to see what is happening. If they have to push back a shipping date, something is WRONG!

The fact that 1.6's and 1.8's are showing up all over, and very few Duals have shown up means that either they underestimated demand badly, or there is a major delay in manafacturing or in the chips! Otherwise, they would be shipping them!
  4. jelloshotsrule macrumors G3

Feb 7, 2002
    what's your point? this is old news and can only be rehashed so many million times
  5. Lanbrown macrumors 6502a

Mar 20, 2003
    Even if they underestimated the demand, you would see a lot more dual G5's out there. Whatever they had would have gone out immediately. It could be an IBM problem, who knows; it's not like IBM is selling anything with the 970 in it. With a new chip, the yield for the fastest processor is always limited at first. Especially since Apple only offers the dual with the fastest processors. So, if they (IBM) could make one 2GHz for three 1.8GHz, Apple could sell six 1.8GHz machines for every dual 2GHz.

From another thread, you cancelled your order. So why do you care how many they ship?
  6. vollspacken macrumors 65816

Oct 17, 2002
    Boogie-Down Berlintown
    stop whining!!!

I wish I was WAITING for a dual-G5, but neither can I afford nor do I need one...