2.16 or 2.33 15" Macbook Pro?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by RyanF2009, Nov 1, 2006.

1. RyanF2009 macrumors member

Oct 2, 2006
    Orlando, FL
    Hi guys,

I will be purchasing a Macbook Pro by the end of the week if all goes as planned, and I had a quick question. My side job (which makes me a good little bit of money) is sort of photography-for-hire, I do quite a bit of photo editing. I also occasionally do some video editing. Other uses would be general (Safari, Mail, iTunes).

Also, should I go with the 120GB or 160GB HDD? I have heard some things about PMR being better or something like that, but I don't want to go searching for that right now... I'm lazy

I have a 15" HP dv5000t that I bought late June as a low-cost device to hold me over until the C2D Macbook Pros came around. I am going to be getting rid of that and getting a 15" Macbook Pro. So my question to you guys is, should I go with the 2.16GHz model or the 2.33GHz model? I would like this to last me a good couple of years (if that's at all possible), but is there really a warrant for me to go with the more expensive model?

I'm on a bit of a tight budget, I don't really want to go that much higher than $2000. Keep in mind that I will be utilizing the EDU discount.
  2. iJaz macrumors 6502a

Dec 16, 2004
  3. RyanF2009 thread starter macrumors member

Oct 2, 2006
    Orlando, FL
    Thanks for the reply! Looks like I'll be getting a 2.16GHz then :D
  4. hkk macrumors newbie

Oct 27, 2006
    I'd recommend getting the 160GB drive. It should be significantly faster. And obviously more spacious.
  5. Clydefrog macrumors 6502a

Feb 24, 2006
    how would the 160Gb be faster its the same speed 5400rpm?
  6. nylon macrumors 6502a

Oct 26, 2004
    I believe the 160GB drive uses Perpendicular Recording Technology which is faster then the 120GB drive which uses Longitudinal recording technology, however, I have read that some people are getting Hitachi 120GB drives that uses the Perpendicular technology.

I honestly wouldn't worry. However, if you store a lot of Photos you might want to go with the bigger drive regardless.