2.16 v 2.33 mbp - dual monitor viewing

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by theprizefight, Oct 30, 2006.

1. theprizefight macrumors member

Oct 29, 2006
    plan to use MBP to hook up with external monitor for dual monitor setup when im at my desk. would it be necessary for me to get the 2.33 model (with the extra ram and more video memory) for this task? or will the 2.16 be suitable enough?
  2. 04440 macrumors member

Oct 26, 2006
    Los Angeles
    The 2.16 is a powerful laptop. But the 2.33 has a better video and memory which will give you a less possibility to run into problems.. But, I would guess that you should be perfectly fine. Dual Monitor doesn't use the memory, just the processes you plan to run inside of the two. If you use two highly 'power eating' applications i would go toward the 2.33
  3. Sesshi macrumors G3

Jun 3, 2006
    One Nation Under Gordon
    Any MBP is fine for this purpose. What you buy (VRAM) depends on the size of the external monitor you want to support + the level of gaming, 3D work that you do.
  4. Scottyk9 macrumors 6502a

Jun 18, 2004
    I was under the impression that using a 2nd moniter split the VRAM between the 2. As such, the question would be if 64MB is sufficient (vs. 128MB with a 256MB VRAM). I would imagine this would only be an issue if you are doing a lot of 3D work. What are your needs? What are you using it for.

By the way, there are several threads discussing this issue, a search might give you more information