2.16GHz 15" MBP now or wait for 17" ???

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by BuddhaMac, Mar 17, 2006.

  1. BuddhaMac macrumors newbie

    Mar 16, 2006
    I am SERIOUSLY lusting after a 2.16GHz 15" MBP (with a 100GB 7200RPM drive) so bad I can taste it!

    I sold my iMac to clear out some cash and I'm real close to putting my order in for one of these bad boys but I'm torturing myself trying to wait for the April 1st Birthday announcement just in case a 17" MBP is announced. Needless to say, I am lost without my Mac. :(

    The MBP would be used solely for Logic Pro music creation with some occasional iLife stuff on the side.

    The $25,000 question: Do I really need a 17" display?



    ...having the extra screen real estate would be nice when I'm portable, especially when using Logic. While sitting at the desk, the MBP will be connected via DVI to a Dell 20" LCD, so the internal display's size and resolution is irrelevent when used on the desk.


    Aside from the extra 2" of screen real estate, what other realistic advantages would a 17" MBP have over the high-end 15" model?

    So far, this is all I could come up with:
    1. Increased screen size/resolution (1680x1050 ?)
    2. Possible faster DL SuperDrive?
    3. Low-end processor will start at 2.16GHz

    In regards to the SuperDrive, 4x on the current model could be better but its functional for my needs; besides I could always add a faster external DL drive if I needed it. From my research, a thin 8x drive isn't available yet, so unless Apple decides to increase the overall thickness of the 17" MBP, wouldn't that mean that the 17" model would have a 4x drive in it as well if they chose to release it April?

    Lastly, for my needs, I'll want 2GB RAM and a 7200 RPM drive. Like the 15" models, the standard config of the 17" will probably consist of 1 GB RAM and a 5400 RPM drive, so I would still need to do those upgrades to a 17" model as well - adding to the overall higher cost.

    Am I missing something here? Assuming that they even annouce a 17" model on April 1st, am I overplaying the differences between the models or am I just nuts? :confused:

    Any opinions offered to help ease my mind would be greatly appreciated. I'm TRYING to wait until April 1st but it's real HARD! I don't know if I can hold out much longer! :eek:
  2. dmw007 macrumors G4


    May 26, 2005
    Working for MI-6
    If you need a new Mac now then buy one now. The 15" MacBook Pro is in every regard an awesome, awesome portable computer. Since you have a nice LCD to hook your laptop up to when its on your desk, I would forgo the 2" of screen and settle for the 15" MacBook Pro.

    Personally, I am waiting for the merom based core duos to make their way into an Apple portable before I buy. But if you need a new Mac now, the MacBook Pro will last you for a long time to come! :)
  3. amac4me macrumors 65816


    Apr 26, 2005
    I'd hold off a bit to see what Apple has to announce on April (If anything at all). There have been rumors of a 17" MacBook Pro.
  4. celebrian23 macrumors 65816


    Mar 12, 2006
    Under the sun
    Whatever you do, make sure you don't regret not waiting for the 17''. I think when buying a computer it's' best not to settle.
  5. Hodapp macrumors 6502a


    Jul 10, 2003
    New York, NY
  6. ieani macrumors 6502a


    Jan 3, 2006
    the states for now

Share This Page