Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

cooknwitha

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
May 5, 2005
London
Apologies is this has be answered the world over but a search isn't bring it up in simple terms for me. :eek:

I have a Rev E 12" 1.5 GHZ Powerbook. It is lovely. But given that it's now over 2 years old, it's time for a new one. Plus, I'm moving OS in 4 weeks so I can get the tax back (10%. Nice!!) if I buy it from now before I depart.

Waiting for a potential update will therefore actually potentially cost me more money if it doesn't happen soon. So, I'm happy to bite the bullet provided the Macbook will do what I think it will do.

The Macbook will run faster, no? I use my computer mainly for writing, internet, some Flash MX 2004 and the odd bit of Final Cut Express HD (never using the HD though) and Photoshop Elements.

Surely by maxing out the RAM and getting a nice big HD on the Macbook, it'll be one sexy machine. The only thing that's confusing me is all this bitching and moaning about the GMA 950. How does it stack up against the GeForce FX Go5200?

Is the GMA 950 really as bad as some people make out? Some people seem to carry on like it would be just as effective as using a block of cheese. Which I find hard to believe as they, historically, are rubbish with graphics.

kuebby

macrumors 68000
Jan 18, 2007
MD
Everything that I've heard says that the MBs are so much faster than the PBs at pretty much everything. If you want to try for yourself go to an Apple store and play around with a MB, most, if not all of them, have FC and PS installed.

QuarterSwede

macrumors G3
Oct 1, 2005
Colorado Springs, CO
If you aren't going to game or use it for 3D graphics you will notice, not one iota of difference.

I have a 12" 1.5GHz PB with maxed out RAM (1.25GB) and my wife just bought a MB and I notice relatively no difference. The only thing really is how fast apps open. On the MB it's extremely fast while my PB takes a few seconds. Also, the startup is quite fast on the MB. But you really aren't going to notice a difference running everyday apps, Mail, Safari, IM, etc.

You will notice on more power hungry apps like iPhoto, iMovie, Final Cut, etc. They will run a lot smoother and perform tasks like encoding a movie, etc a lot faster.

The keyboard on the PB I like better but the MB's really isn't bad at all. The trackpad is a heck of a lot larger and the screen real-estate is fantastic not to mention the color not being washed out and the brightness making my PB looking really dim (it's quite pathetic). Also, the wi-fi antenna on the
MB is worlds better than the PB's. My wife's MB picks up a lot more networks than I do and the signal is a lot stronger for her. Unfortunately Safari is slower on her machine for some reason. But I attribute that to my next point:

The only thing I really don't like is that the Intel version of OS X seems a tad buggy compared to how rock solid it is on my PB (her MB has apps crash far more often then mine, which is next to never). Of course, this will probably totally change with Leopard.

All that said, I personally think the MB is a worthy upgrade from a 12" PB.

Freyqq

macrumors 601
Dec 13, 2004
as slow as the integrated graphics on the mb are..its much faster than the pb

I had a 12" pb..same one as you before i got a mbp. Huge difference. The performance increase is amazing. After experiencing an intel mac..i have no idea how people managed using powerpc.

cooknwitha

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
May 5, 2005
London
You're all telling me what I wanted to hear. :D

Sure, I could wait for an update but time is against me and I was holding off more for Leopard than anything else and they do exactly what I want. Time to order, I guess. Now the big questions is black or white. Though I find it hard to justify nearly AU$200 for a colour change.

El Cid

macrumors member
May 21, 2007
NOLA
Change the color at any time

You're all telling me what I wanted to hear. :D

Sure, I could wait for an update but time is against me and I was holding off more for Leopard than anything else and they do exactly what I want. Time to order, I guess. Now the big questions is black or white. Though I find it hard to justify nearly AU$200 for a colour change.

I faced the same problem over color choice and utility. Get the white one, and look at some of the color hard cases if you want to change the color. Even black is an option. Regardless, enjoy your new MB.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.